Peacocks, yellow labs, and acei?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

momofzookeeper

Registered Member
Nov 9, 2020
Hi, I recently got my fish obsessed son a new 46gallon tank. The tank is 36" L x 12"W x 24"H. I thought we would do some african cichlids. Looking for some suggestions as to how many we should put in there. Some of what we are thinking of are peacocks, yellow labs, acei, and maybe a type of synodontis. We also thought about a redtail shark. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. Thank you!

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Hi and Welcome to AC!!

Acei and peacocks (Aulonocara) are really too large for that tank size at adult hood so I would skip them.

If you are looking for some color, consider getting Chindongo (formerly Pseudeotropheus) saulosi as the males are blue with black stripes and the females a deep yellow when both mature. I would only recommend doing one species in that tank as it is rather small for most Lake Malawi cichlids.

For a catfish, consider Synodontis lucippinis and get at least 3 of them. They are often sold as S. petricola in some stores though they are a different species but look and act the same.

I also recommend cycling your tank first and there are a few different ways to accomplish that so ask for more info if you need it.

Reactions: the loach

momofzookeeper

Registered Member
Nov 9, 2020
Hi and Welcome to AC!!

Acei and peacocks (Aulonocara) are really too large for that tank size at adult hood so I would skip them.

If you are looking for some color, consider getting Chindongo (formerly Pseudeotropheus) saulosi as the males are blue with black stripes and the females a deep yellow when both mature. I would only recommend doing one species in that tank as it is rather small for most Lake Malawi cichlids.

For a catfish, consider Synodontis lucippinis and get at least 3 of them. They are often sold as S. petricola in some stores though they are a different species but look and act the same.

I also recommend cycling your tank first and there are a few different ways to accomplish that so ask for more info if you need it.

We do plan on cycling the tank before getting the fish. I like the idea of the saulosi. My son would love the blue. How many would you suggest?

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
If you are buying juveniles or smaller, I suggest 6 to 8 fish and then when they start to mature see what the ratio of male to female are. You may have to remove excess males in the future.

Reactions: the loach
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store