Penguin Biowheel 330 - No Biowheel?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
I picked up a used 55g setup a while back. Came with 2 Penguin Biowheel 330s, but there were no biowheels included and I can't see where they would be installed. They're older models, different than my newer Marineland model. How do those wheels get mounted? Am I missing some other part?IMG_20180829_211501440.jpg

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
On the bio wheel filters I've tried, the 'axle ends' on the bio wheel just drop into slots towards the filter's outlet

Do you really have the need to run this particular HOB?

I just don't care for HOBs that use throw away cartriges/pads. Likes and dislikes are subjective of course!

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
I have my newer Marineland Biowheel running on this tank as well. Just added this one as extra filtration since it was laying around. I rarely toss a pad out. They pretty much have to be disintegrating before I change them, and only one at a time. HOBs are just what I've always used I guess.

I wouldn't but any new parts for these, but I'll check the manual. Thanks D dudley .

Reactions: dudley

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I've never used a "bio-wheel", it seems a bit gimmicky to me. I don't see a reason you couldn't use it without it...what media is in the filter?

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
It has two of those basic filter cartridges with the carbon inside. I'm not worried about it, as this is a secondary filter I added for kicks. Was mostly just curious.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I have filters that use those "disposable" media. I just rinse & squeeze them under running tap water every other time I need to clean them. They're not as long lived as sponges or ceramics bits but it's fine.

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
I just cut a piece of floss to the size of the filter cartridge and insert it into the slot.
It's probably not as efficient as the cartridge but is much, much cheaper.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store