Penn Plax Cascade 1000 Canister Problems

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

karmaconnection

AC Members
Jan 24, 2010
Hi,

This is my first post and my first canister filter. :help2:

I hooked everything up like the picture, with the spray bar, it worked but it gurgled and sounded like water surging periodically and the impeller was noisy. So I hooked it up with the spout and now no water comes through the pipes. I made sure the pipes/hoses were clear, I pumped it 4 times waited a minute or 2, then plugged it in and no water comes out, the motor sounds like it running, sometimes the impeller rattles. I pump it again while it's running but air bubbles come from the intake pipe where the protector cage connects. What am I doing wrong or what should I do?

Cordially,

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
If your trying to prime try taking the end of the outflow hose out of the water and pump again it should now prime. If not try flooding the intake hose with water so the hose is primed then try againe. But normally with any top motor basket filter you leave the out flow hose (leaving canister) end out of the water and in-flow hose (back to canister) in the water when pumping. Once primed return out-flow hose end back under water.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Ok it worked!!!! YEAH!!! Now what's up with the noisy rattling impeller? :)
Of course it worked becasue by having both hoses in the water when hand pump priming, pressure on each side of the hand pump is equalized and cannot move water, by removing the out flow end out of the water the hand pump now has the hydraulic advantage of un-equalized pressure and can now pump water against air and therefor prime.

The noise may go away or may be trapped air, now is when you can hand pump while it is running each pump will push trapped air out until its all gone.

Reactions: Phoenixjoni

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
tilt it over on one side to let the air out then sit it back up right. i use to have several 1000's and it always worked for me.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
you probably damaged the impeller running it dry.

Reactions: cyberbeer65

HHC13

Registered Member
Aug 22, 2015
My filter system seems to have lost volume considerably. I cleaned it even though it's only two weeks old but no improvement. Any ideas?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store