Perch Keeping

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RITheory

A tad past slightly crazy...
Jun 30, 2010
Buffalo/Rochester, New York
A friend of mine is bringing back some baby perches from his cabin (maybe 2 or 3 inches in length right now) and he wants to give me some. I know they grow big; I have a 20 gallon thats gonna be empty by september which I will be able to keep as a (more) permanent home, but until then I would have to put it in a 15 H; would it be ok with a blue gourami, bumblebee catfish and clown loach? All are around 4" at least in length and I was wondering if this would be suitable, at least until fall.

If not, how would I go about keeping a perch in an aquarium? I've never dealt with wild fishes before, though I've always though having like a trout or bass would be cool, haha.

RITheory

Jun 30, 2010
Good point, especially on #3. Forgot all about that, honestly.

So, how big, how fast? I mean, how long could it survive in a 10 or something small, seeing as it's only a baby? How fast do they grow?

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
You'd be looking at 6 months MAX in a setup 20g or smaller. Less time for less tank volume. Yellow Perch (the kind you catch in the US) grow to around 10 inches max, but in their 11 year lifespan, can actually double that size (though it is rare). Personally, you wouldnt find me keeping any panfish in a tank smaller than 75-100 gallons, with 75 being a temporary setup.

Then again.. If I had any kind of sizeable perch, it would be in my frying pan... :D

RITheory

Jun 30, 2010
Then again.. If I had any kind of sizeable perch, it would be in my frying pan... :D
Actually that sounds a little more like me...haha....but hey, it's a gift and abit of an opportunity for me, something I would like to try, you know?

As far as the aquarium, the current thing would be a holding tank until about september, maybe august when I get my 20 back (20 long). After that, I don't know where I would go with it, but I need to see how my dorm situation works out for fall before I see how big I would go after the 20.

What would I feel it? I get that I would have go to feeder golds after awhile but what until then? I doubt it would take flake, would it?

Sorry for being so clueless, but my failed excursions into saltwater notwithstanding, I've never tried anything outside of tropicals but some crayfish when I was like 12 I found in a creek. So this is something completely new for me.

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
Actually, goldfish are NOT a good idea for Perch(or any other carnivorous fish for that matter), and feeder goldfish are notorious for introducing disease to a tank. Earthworms/Nightcrawlers, minnows, crayfish, shrimp, are all good foods, or if you can train them to eat a quality carnivorous pellet, you would be on the right track.

If you are going to keep them in a 20g long term (which I definitely don't recommend), make sure you have PLENTY of filtration, perhaps a canister filter even, and I would do at least 30% pwc no less than twice a week.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
I grew up in Northern Ohio, walking distance to lake Erie. All I know about perch is they taste amazing fresh out of a fryer >.<

best of luck

RITheory

Jun 30, 2010
I grew up in Northern Ohio, walking distance to lake Erie. All I know about perch is they taste amazing fresh out of a fryer >.<

best of luck
I'm from the OTHER mistake on the lake, Buffalo, so I understand wholeheartedly lol We prefer our haddock up here though haha

And I'm not going 20 long term, just 20 long enough to get something bigger; just HOW big has yet to be determined and is dependent entirely on how big my dorm is and what my roommate will tolerate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store