petco find

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
In my area petsmarts are generally better than petcos. But on stuff that actually goes into the aquarium like filters and such, petco wins with the prices between the two. But meijer and wally world still beat them on prices but generally fail in caring for the fish. I found that the best place around here to get fish is birds and beast pet shop. They quarantine before putting them out for sale.
+1 on the Petsmart/Petco comparisons, but for pricing, Amazon beats all 4.

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
I don't know, but I doubt if the shipping stress die-off rate is any lower for a mom & pop. Maybe the bodies are just removed quicker.

jmedic25

AC Members
Sep 17, 2011
Ive had mixed results with the big box stores. One near me had a guy who was very knowledgeable. Then the other day I went in and the portly rude chick actually refered a customer to me....She recognized me as being a "fish guy"...The customers question was simple. " I have a new tank and my ammonia is very high" what do I do. SOOO I took the time to answer the ladys question. You cant blame the flitration at the big boxes...They have really awesome setups and sterilizers. Its all the staff and the stress. Fish cant all live with the same water perms.

Dieprophezeiung

^^ also my gamertag
Jul 13, 2010
auburn, alabama
Real Name
Charlie
I've had the same experience. Sometimes the people are very knowledgable and can help me, then other times I go in and the guy tried to convince me to set up a salt water tank and told me I wouldn't need a skimmer.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
you can run a salt tank without a skimmer, but usually it only works with a fowlr tank. my old favourite lfs used to have a seahorse tank with a few small corals in it and that tank only had a hob running on it. worked great.

Dieprophezeiung

^^ also my gamertag
Jul 13, 2010
auburn, alabama
Real Name
Charlie
I'm no SW expert. Never had one, but I've never herd of a tank without one until then. He was also trying to sell me a lion fish.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
big box employees are trained to push sales, and that's about it. sad, but true.

fifthofnovember

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
I should add, to be fair, that with big box stores it depends a LOT on the manager. My friend worked at one Petsmart for a while, and was told straight out "If a customer wants an animal, you sell that customer the animal". Doesn't matter if they're putting a koi in a fish bowl. Doesn't matter if they're putting an oscar in a 5 gallon desktop. Doesn't matter if a 4 year old kids wants a robo hamster. Doesn't matter if a leopard gecko is going in a Critter Keeper. You get the idea. And, if a fish dies due to poor care or inadequate housing, you replace it. Even if the new fish/animal is going back into the same environment. Yikes. They also leave sick animals untreated. My friend saw multiple snakes die of starvation (of course likely brought on by another disease or offering improper food) and nobody cared. She looked at one snake's log, and for THREE MONTHS people had marked down that it didn't eat that day, and nobody did anything.

However, the same chain in my hometown is GREAT. They have ***real hobbyists*** working their specific departments. I know this because I went to school with a lot of these people, and the people in the herp society worked in the reptile department, and a lot of my friends who were fish geeks worked in the fish section. When they started getting more saltwater in, they actively sought out someone good and experienced in salt, and didn't just add salt to a tank and plunk fish in.

Another smaller shop near me that's a chain, but not as widespread, is AW-FUL. You can never find anyone for service, and half the people in the departments know NOTHING about what they're selling. I had to step in and stop someone from selling a kid 2 Syrian hamsters.... that he was going to keep in the same cage. The employee just looked at me and went "But we keep our dwarfs together". Because yes, all hamsters and rodents are exactly the same. I once pointed out that fish in a tank had ich, and the person working the fish room (who I found out later is the person who organizes the BIRTHDAY PARTIES) looked at me and said "They have what?" I said "It's a external parasite". And the employee replied with, and I SWEAR I am not making this up, said "They can't get that. Fish don't have skin." :blink:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store