Petco "Going Blue"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
katschamne, I just wanted to let you know that I hope that you are not offended by any talk of petco employees being uneducated as you clearly have much more experience than the avergae worker. Its only a generalization to get the point accross, but I know that sometimes they can be taken the wrong way ;)

katschamne

AC Members
Feb 3, 2008
Geneva, IL
katschamne, I just wanted to let you know that I hope that you are not offended by any talk of petco employees being uneducated as you clearly have much more experience than the avergae worker. Its only a generalization to get the point accross, but I know that sometimes they can be taken the wrong way ;)
Thanks jpappy, I'm not offended at all. That is why I posted this. I have had aquariums for 13 years before I worked at Petco. I've made the stupid mistakes that beginners make and I have (hopefully) learned from them and I'm still learning all the time. I try to pass my knowledge to my customers and fellow employees. They all know if they have a question they can ask me if I don't know I tell them that and I then go find out for myself and the person who asked the questions. I have gone into plenty of Petcos, Petsmart, and LFS where they really don't know poop. When I go into the stores I have a bad habit of eavesdropping when another customer is asking a question. It is the best time to see how well they know their stuff. Sometimes I walk away shaking my head and then the are times I'm impressed. I recommend this site to at least 10 customers a day. I should just have cards printed up with the web address on it.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I think that the reason is a little more hidden. There have been numerous articles about people using fish antibiotics on themselves. I think that companies like the aforementioned are trying to limit their corporate liability and it has NOTHING to do with fish or going green.
Not too far off the mark! I have a friend who works for API who told me over a year ago that new restrictions on the use of antibiotics for pets was in the pipeline. He's currently traveling on business, but when he gets back I'll get some more specifics.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
if petco is getting rid of medications, then they should get rid of all other chemicals besides water conditioner.

medications are essential in some instances when bacterial or fungal infections appear from injuries and such. salt does not work for everything, and some people just dont like putting it in their tanks.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Not too far off the mark! I have a friend who works for API who told me over a year ago that new restrictions on the use of antibiotics for pets was in the pipeline. He's currently traveling on business, but when he gets back I'll get some more specifics.
I would not be suprised either...although a simple label like "for fish only" should get them out of lawsuits brought forth by any idiot stupid enough to take medications for fish...

Zaffy

Why would ******* be censored?
Jul 21, 2008
Canyon Country, Ca.
I guess I'm in the minority, I think antibiotics should be regulated more heavily, and not so widely available.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I've only used antibiotics once in the 25 yrs that I've been in the hobby...and that was 15+ yrs ago. I probably didn't really need to use it, either.

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
Does Melafix and Pimafix even work? I tried to cure my swordtail ones but, he just died. Bummer.

I don't think this is a good idea. I think they should go like "Go better fish health!" than go blue. Really guys?

They worry more about their stock..than the fish themselves which if they prevented won't be needing the medications!

Boo to the idea. :(

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
Some really good commenting from many of you. You can also vote on the comments. Let's let Petco know what we want, since they rarely bother to ask or care.
you got a thumbs up from me... seems like we're doing our parts... anyone members of other fish forums? they might want to know also.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store