PetCo?Petsmart?Good?Bad?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SodeeMama

...whatya mean it needs water???
Feb 15, 2005
Longview, WA. USA
...on the local salesfolk of Petco....

I've been in twice to purchase fish at the new Petco in our town (Longview, WA.)....both times I had a new salesperson that said, somewhere to the extent of, "Gee, this is kinda neat. This is the first fish I've ever had to catch."

Hm. Just in case, you might want to ask them how experienced they are. Or, hope for the best :D

FooF

Daveedka & Harlock are my heroes!
Feb 13, 2005
Michigan
www.illusioncamp.com
we have 3 walmarts and a meijers within about a 45-50 mile radius and none of them are very good looking in the aquarium sections. usually the walmart to the east has alot of fish with ich and/or dead fish, fish eating other fish, fish missing pieces, etc. the meijers right across the street from them isnt quite as bad, and ive actually been eyeballing a long finned male swordtail thats been living there for about 8 months... i dont think anything else has lived there that long, but hes always there.

the walmart right by my house has a fairly knowledgable department manager, but shes not there too much and if shes gone for a few days i usually notice all the fish have ich. nobody else there knows anything at all about fish. one time she wasnt there on delivery day and i saw them put a batch of corys in with a handfull of cichlids.... what a mess of shredded fish that was. they thought they were lace cats.

the walmart to the west usually has fairly good looking fish, but they also sell violet goby's as a fresh water fish, wich makes me sad.

then theres 2 LFS that i visit. the one by my house has been in business since before i was born (so better than 25 years) and are usually pretty on point with their advice and have nice looking tanks. the fish are healthy about 90% of the time and i try my best to purchase there when i need to purchase, although they make it hard at times because they wont order from alot of the distro's that carry what i want for special orders and wait for months on end to get it from their regular distro.

the other LFS (45min north of me) has an awsome selection and always gets exactly what i order, when i order it, but they arent afraid to use wal-mart's distributer either, so they end up with alot of sick fish. their pictus cats and chanel cats are usually very very sickly and covered in ich. their prices are OUTRAGEOUS as well. their blue/gold/pearl/etc gouramis are usually around $12

now the only petsmart is about 2-3 hours north... ive been there two or three times in the last 5 years or so. their variety blows, their sales persons blow, their knowledge is minimal and their fish are hit and miss. i have a clown loach and a striped peacock eel i purchased there and theyre doing pretty well and ive had them for about a year... but some of the fish didnt look too good. the balas had ich very bad and there were a handfull of other fish that were dead and nobody really cared i guess. the only thing i liked about purchasing from petsmart was the fact that the snotty i-hate-my-job acting woman that bagged the fish for us asked us in a monotone voice if we were aware that the fish would reach so many inches. couldnt say much for her personality, but at least she pushed out what the store more than likely forced her to say, haha.

as for petco, i have never seen one or been in one, so the only knowledge i have of their stores is what i read here.

gert

AC Members
Dec 23, 2004
The local petco I go to has clean tanks and usually hs wide variety of fish. The people that work there seem to know what they are doing.I guess it depends on the individual in which pet store to choose.

FooF

Daveedka & Harlock are my heroes!
Feb 13, 2005
Michigan
www.illusioncamp.com
another thing i notice about our local walmart is that the longer the fish is at the store, the worse it gets.

ive seen the same lace cat in there for about 3-4 weeks and how it hangs on i will never know. it came in looking pretty good but now is almost skin and bones, has a white film growing on it and its eyes look like theyre going to fall out of its head :(
its also been swimming nose down for about a week.... .but still it lives... i feel really bad for him :(

mr.amateur45

AC Members
Mar 3, 2005
oooh, petco. grrrrr, that petco. i bought 4 neon tetras, and 4 black neon tetras. 1 died each time we bought the 4. a week later, one of the plants i bought there gave em ich, and killed all 8 of them!
but wal-mart is'nt a bad place to get fish. except bettas. they have a good selection of guppies. i've had mine for bout 1 month.

TJT

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
my lfs hasnt impressed me much. Last saturday i noticed in the SW section there were 2 dead lion fish. This saturday I went and noticed the same 2 fish were still there. I am not very crazy about their SW section, all the fish are kept seperate and in less than a gallon of water. I do like looking at the fish though and its the only place around that Ive seen SW fish in. I spotted some loaches there with ich pretty bad as well. However they do 1/2 price refills on omega 1 food so ill probably start getting food there.
The wal mart to the north, well the fish section isnt the best but Ive had decent luck with what ive bought from them. The wal mart to my south hasnt even been open a week so everything looks nice, and overstocked like crazy. But its got nice signs with all the fish, a good description and etc.
Petsmart is decent as well, but Ive talked to good and bad employees. Once I saw a guy recieving bettas and putting them in the cups, ugh what a horror. They seem to like to keep 100+ betta cups on stock at all times, so you can imagine the condition of the poor fellow in the back of the shelf :(

SomethingFishy

AC Members
May 1, 2002
Austin, TX
Real Name
Virginia
I'm within a short drive of all of these places. Walmarts in my area don't carry fish. Only the Super Walmart which is a good distance away carries fish. The couple of times i've been to that store the fish seemed "OK" but the selection was very small. I've never bought fish there. There used to be 2 Petsmarts near me, one of them recently closed. Their fish seem ok, and at least they have that fish guarantee. But I can't remember buying any fish from them in the last 5 years. One time in the one that closed I pointed out ich in one tank to the employee & she said that no it's not ich, those fish always look like that! The store that's still open I've decided not to go into anymore. Last time we went there the whole store smelled terrible and flies buzzed around our heads the whole time we were there. We also have Pet Supermarkets here, there are several of them. Most of them keep their tanks pretty well. The selection is not huge, but their prices are pretty good. One of the only places I can find cardinal tetras, they have them occassionally.
Our Petco is brand new, so everything was new and shiny when I went in on grand opening weekend. I didn't get any fish (haven't bought fish in quite a long time) and their prices for other stuff is higher than other places. Not just fish stuff, I was looking at parrot treats & toys & also dog toys. I also have one really good LFS that has a good selection, although not consistant. I've loved going in there since I was a kid because they keep the fish side of the store dark except the tank lights. I dunno, I just always liked it. the other LPS used to have a large fish room but over the years it's gotten smaller & now they only have about 10 or so tanks. I did get my angels there about 5 years ago as babies & now they're HUGE.

SamXXXkiss

Rock on, people!!!
Mar 2, 2005
MD
I did a reaserch on information about fish. I went to Petco and they answerd corectly all of my question. Every LFS are not to bad.

aquaman555

Registered Member
Apr 5, 2005
petco has a bad reputation for healthy animals. i am not sure though. Petsmart seems to be a very good place to get healthy fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store