Petco swordtails

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Brubaker

AC Members
Nov 23, 2009
Roswell, GA
I picked up 2 females a couple years back from Petco. While I was acclimating them they started to drop. I put them in a breeder tank and ended up with over 40 fry. The 2 females died of fin rot in the next couple days. The fry came down with ick, but as they were the only thing in a 55 gallon tank I used the salt and temp method and they recovered. Gave away most kept a few and lost the last one a couple of weeks ago.

You will see them on AB and they describe them as albino koi. The albino refers to the red eyes. They can be half orange and half white or a tri color orange white orange. I picked up some hi fin lyretails recently and am hoping to get some fry from them. A very pretty and popular swordtail that often sells for more than you paid. The gravid spot will be very red if they mated with an albino male from all of those red eye fry.

Good luck.

felix453

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
I've always admired these guys from aquabid but when I saw these guys at petco I knew I had to pick them up!

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
guess it's time to make my petco order some! special order should do the trick. what are the areas where petco gets these that you've seen?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica

Brubaker

AC Members
Nov 23, 2009
Roswell, GA
Be careful with the special order. You have to order 6 and you have no say in sex or eye color. The 6 I received were 5 males and 1 female. The manager felt bad and said she would order again the following week. Again, 5 males and 1 female. I passed on those. I separated the males into 3 established tanks and over a period of 3 weeks they all died. The female is still alive but I am not interested in the black eyes. So if I can get some fry from the lyretails, I will probably bundle her with the juvies and take to my local aquarium club.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
awww

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store