Ph >7.6

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nurs4kids

Registered Member
Jan 2, 2003
Visit site
My tank's been established over two months. Recently, after being confident that it had stabilized, we added a tadpole and some plants. Prior to that, we had 5 neons, 1 beta, 2 guppies, 2 sydonis', and a snail..all were thriving. After adding the tadpole and the plants, the ph went out the roof and we lost a guppy and several neons. We have tried partial water changes and ph-down, but nothing is lowering the ph. The ammonia level is zero, the nitrite level is zero, the KH is 3, GH is 7. I fear the culprit is the tadpole, but the kids love it so I don't want to take it out unless I'm sure he's the problem. I have no idea what the plants are called..one is the long cylindrical fern looking things..the other one, well..the snail ate it anyway.

Suggestions welcome! Thanks!

ChelseaSkinGirl

AC Members
May 17, 2002
Orlando, FL
What is the pH in your tank and does it stay at that all the time? I can tell you the tadpole is probably not the problem - i feed them to my jag all the time. Oh, and what size tank?

P.S. - don't use the pH down or up stuff, it just changes your pH for a short time and can stress the fish out when it goes back up or down.

nurs4kids

Registered Member
Jan 2, 2003
Visit site
The ph is greater than 7.6, and it has stayed there for over two weeks in spite of water changes and adding ph down. Thirty gallon tank.

Thank you!! I wanted to hear that it wasn't the tadpole :)
Hubby swears it's the tadpole ;)

ChelseaSkinGirl

AC Members
May 17, 2002
Orlando, FL
How much over 7.6? Unless your pH is over 8 i don't see why that would be a bad thing. But if you really want to lower the pH you could put some peat inside of a pair of pantyhose and put that in your filter - it'll turn your water a little brownish, but won't shock your fish like the pH-down stuff.

nurs4kids

Registered Member
Jan 2, 2003
Visit site
hmmmm..
okay, well the test kit doesn't register above 7.6 (do we need one that registers higher?), so I don't really know how high it is. We thought this was our problem because we had several fish die and upon testing the ph was higher than it had been. Maybe those fish were diseased?? We HAD recently (within a week or two) added some of those fish. Hubby thought the ph of the store aquarium was 7, so that our fish had probably suffered ph shock. Maybe not.

Thanks! I think we'll try adding some more from another store and see if we have better results!

ChelseaSkinGirl

AC Members
May 17, 2002
Orlando, FL
Yeah, I would get a new pH kit, one that goes up to at least 8.0, and be sure to check it before you do decide to get new fish just in case that is the problem :)

OH YEAH, WELCOME TO AQUARIA CENTRAL! :)

Last edited:

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
Some of the Test Kit lines use 2 different pH kits, a high and a low. If you're topping out at 7.6 you probably have a low, or some sort of narrow mid-range. Look for a pH High kit. However, with a KH of 3 the pH should be low and not high. Are there differences between the tank and the tap (let the tap sit for a little while before testing)?

Things that have calcium in them are the things that are going to drive up your pH: sea shells, pieces of coral, certain types of rocks, and certain types of sand or gravel. Have any of these things changed? They harden the water (increase the KH) and make it more alkaline. Tadpoles do not do this :D . Normally KH and pH follow each other.

nurs4kids

Registered Member
Jan 2, 2003
Visit site
Thank you guys so much for your help..and thanks for the warm welcome!

We did, about the same time add a big rock decoration that I believe is sandstone.

Will take your advice and check everything out! Thanks!

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
I always thought sandstone itself was OK, but that limestone (which often appears with it) was no good? Not real up on my rocks. A lot of people will mention the "vinegar test" -- will vinegar (or a bit of acid from somewhere, like some test kits) foam up on the rock? If so, the rock is no good (unless of course you're looking to raise your pH). You could also leave the rock in a bucket of tapwater for a week and see if the KH or pH changes over that time (probably a surer test).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store