PH dropping fast

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cylon

AC Members
Sep 12, 2005
Benton, IL
1 of my tanks is a 55 gallon sand tank. I use it as a breeding tank for my Jack Dempseys. About a week ago I did a water change and also ran a diatom filter on the tank to really get the water clean. After I do this my fish usually spawn. The next day the male beat the female so badly I had to move the male to a differant tank. The female was in bad shape. I treated her with stress coat and some Ick med. The next day I thought she was going to die so I treated the tank again with just stress coat. She started doing a bit better. yesterday 3 days later I went to do a water change and my ph was at 4.6. I drained out 15 gals and only added back 5 gallons. This brought the PH back to 6.0 I know to high to fast. Now here is the shocker! This afternoon only 15 hr later the PH has dropped again to 5.3. What is making my PH drop so fast. This tank has been running about 5 years. The sand makes it low anyway to about 6. This sand makes it to low and I want to swap it out. but what makes the PH drop this fast. Please help me stabilize my tank so I can save a great breeding pair of Jacks with Blue Genes.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
What did the pH usually run at?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
check the date on the test kit..make sure it hasn't expired

Cylon

AC Members
Sep 12, 2005
Benton, IL
The tank usually holds at 6.0 A bit low due to the black sand I brought at Petsmart. I don't know how they can call it aquarium send. but anyway, It's dropping like a rock.
Testing it with 3 different PH kits so I know it really is that low. Shouldn't all these water changes correct this? If it were bad out of the tap shouldn't my other tanks act the same way?
I will have to pick up a KH and GH kit tonight if you think that is where I should start? My old kit is expired.

Cylon

AC Members
Sep 12, 2005
Benton, IL
Maybe the water is bad out of the tap. it's testing at 9PH before it settles. It was 8 last week after it settled. Was at 7.4-7.6 before the drought. We get lake water here. So is testing for KH and GH tonight my best bet?
The other tanks have not had a water change in 2 weeks. Maybe that's why?
Thank you very much for taking the time to help me out.
Cylon

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Is there a kind of sand that drops the PH??? Your PH is dropping because your water probably have no buffers. Add some crushed coral, or argonite to filter.

Cylon

AC Members
Sep 12, 2005
Benton, IL
sand is naturally at 7. Pure sand. But sand is never really pure. Depending on were it is mined from depends on what is in it. Mine seems to be at 6ph. I always thought of the sand as my buffer. Never had a problem till this week. My 125 has the same sand in it. I ordered CC just before I read your post. I'm really puzzled.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store