PH level.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Angel 0249

AC Members
Feb 25, 2007
UK
I have recently set up a Rio 125 tank.
I have put sand in as the substrate a few live plants and a couple of fake plants.

I have just done a test on the water and the stats are

Ammonia 0.25
Nitrate 0.25
Nitrate 5

But the PH is over 8:eek:

Is this because i have sand as my substrate and how do i bring the PH down?

Please can someone tell me what to do as i am fairly new to fish keeping.

Many thanks.

bkw1982

I'M GOING TO ZOMBIELAND
Aug 6, 2006
San Antonio, TX
yeah i have ph over 8 too, it's 8.2. i mean it's not a big deal really, most fish will adjust to it, and it's better to keep a stable ph then adding a buch of stuff to your tank to get it "perfect". but if u must adding some crush coral to ur filter will lower your ph, but will have to be replaced oved time as it dissolves

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
someone else who knows what they're talking about will correct me - I believe crushed coral would act as a buffer and in fact raise a lower Ph. Maybe check that out before you add it...whereas peat in your filter will soften & also lower water Ph

As said before; someone more experienced will correct me :)

Last edited:

jkost

AC Members
Jul 18, 2006
someone else who knows what they're talking about will correct me - I believe crushed coral would act as a buffer and in fact raise a lower Ph. Maybe check that out before you add it...whereas peat in your filter will soften & also lower water Ph

As said before; someone more experienced will correct me :)
your correct on the crushed coral.it would act as a buffer and raise a lower p.h..im not sure but i think with that ph your probably not going to be able to keep it steady enough with peat just a guess.like stated before it would be less stress on fish to leave it where its at then trying to change it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store