PH Levels

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Welcome!

Hi Phil,
I have 8 Discus .... if yours are ok with that high of a Ph, then it's good. Do the needed water changes! Can you post some pics? :)

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
Another way to lower ph not mentioned is with driftwood. My ph in my big tank was 7.6 or higheR(thats only what my test reads up to) and after I put in driftwood, it went to 7.0.

wetmanNY

AC Members
Phil your setup looks very fine!

Lower pH is just a sign of softer, more lightly buffered water, with lower total dissolved solids. The pH follows along naturally from the reduced carbonates.

This is only important if your Discus start to pair up. Then you'll have other problems! Like what to do with the Raphael cats and the rest of the Discus...

Later, for raising fry, less stringent water conditions are fine again. It's just for spawning and egg hatching that extremely soft water (bringing low pH values) is recommended.

You might consider passing some water through a funnel of peat for reduced calcium and magnesium. Peat water has tannins that are beneficial.

Or just relax and enjoy.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Re: Pics

Originally posted by Phil
This isn't the best pic .....
Lookin' good! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store