Philodendron as nitrate sponge

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ger

AC Members
Jan 14, 2003
Westerly, RI USA
Visit site
Has anyone tried growing philodendron out of their tanks in order to reduce nitrate build-ups? If so, what are the side effects -- I would expect an increase in nutrient depletion, competition with aquatic plants, etc. I read about this in a TFH magazine a couple of months back, and have been wondering what others' experiences were.

Note: Nothing is better at removing NO3 than a good water change regimen!

-- G.

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
Plants are better at removing NO3 than anything else.

But Peace lilies are far more effective for NO3 removal rates and require very low light. But most any tropical foliage works well.
NO3 build is seldom an issue in a well run plant tank. I've had to add NO3 for the last 15 years to keep the plants from starving for Nitrogen for example.

Your poison is my plant food. Grow the plants well and the fish will be very happy.

Regards,
Tom Barr

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
For Discus

This is a tool that people who run bare bottom tanks use. For example, many Discus breeders and keepers who do daily water changes with no substrate in the tanks, stick Philodendron into the tops of their tanks with the foliage sticking out and just the roots in the water. They feel it uses excess nitrates up.....seems to work for them. In a planted tank IMO, it's not necessary, or as Tom says above, helpful.
Len

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
The application that Djlen mentioned makes sense. As PlantBrain mentioned, in a planted tank your much more likely to trouble keeping the nitrate levels high enough. Nitrates are one of the major nutrients the philodendrons would be in competition for.

I'm struggling with DIY CO2 (container seems to have died on the 3rd day :mad:), and with the macronutrients (looking for stump remover to boost nitrates). These seem to me to be my tank's biggest deficiencies. Haven't been able to get nitrates off the bottom of the test chart despite a fully-stocked tank -- the plants seem to use everything they can get.

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
Lowes

If you have a local Lowes store go there. They carry Spectacide Stump remover. It's 100% KNO3. I dose about 1/2 tsp. every 3 days to stay at 5-10ppm. Otherwise they fall to zero. Start with 1/4 tsp. and increase if necessary.
Len

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store