Phospates, Silicates, Controlling them.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

auxout

CEO Nothing Inc.
Jan 16, 2003
NW Indiana
Visit site
Phosphates, Silicates, Controlling them.

Once again my tank is starting to grow some diatoms aka brown algae. I cannot figure out the cause. I've been reading alot of algae information. Sadly, most doesn't go into any detail on where the phosphates & silicates come from, how to control them, or how to test for them. So any refrence material you can suggest would be appreciated. I've also read contradicting things like sunlight causes them but lowlight causes them also. It's rather frustrating trying to get a good source and good information. I basically just want straight info like
1. what are silicates
2. what are phosphates
3. where do both come from
4. how can i get rid of both

TIA

Last edited:

Wulfy

AC Members
I dont know if this will suit you but I recently got a nice plant on black rock for my tank.

It was covered in brown algea and I was hesitant to get
it but it was a nice plant on a nice rock.

Well, I have 2 spotted bristlenoses and they made a meal
of the brown algea. The plant is pristine now.

If they fit your ecosystem, maybe it will help.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Silicates are compounds of silica, are common from geologically old sandy aquifers. Diatoms make their external "shell" from silicates.

Phosphates are compounds of phosphorus, a macronutrient requirement for plants (in the N-P-K ratio on all fertilizers, the "P" in the middle is phosphorus).

In low-silicate water areas (your utility will report on this, ask them), diatom outbreaks are common in new tanks, rare in established tanks, as even with phosphates in the water, the silicate concentrations from partials are too low to support explosions of diatoms. In high silicate areas, well, guess what? Diatoms are persistent.

Diatoms are usually replaced by green algaes in brighter light, but may persist in lower light areas where the greens cannot compete as well.

Phosphates are added to some water supplies by the utility - again, ask them.

If your tank is to be unplanted, phosphates and silicates are removed by phosphate-absorbing resins. If your tank is to be planted, you need some phosphates, not large concentrations, but some.

Otocinclus catfish prefer diatoms over other algaes. Some bristlenose and some peckoltia or dwarf panaques eat diatoms also.

HTH

auxout

CEO Nothing Inc.
Jan 16, 2003
NW Indiana
Visit site
Very good info. I would have no problem asking my utility company except I am my utility company for water :) Which is why I'm interested in how to test for it.

Also where can I get these phosphate and silicate absorbing resins?

I also have looked into otos and if I am able to get them they'd be the likely solution. But I like to be well informed on any topic nonetheless. Plus I don't want to do a solution with fish I don't really need if I can do something else to remove the stuff causing the diatoms.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
no respose needed..

I'm just wondering about 'water changes' and 'tank size'.....?

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Seachem makes a phosphate removing resin, PhosGuard, but there is at least one other major brand.

Tank size in immaterial, concentrations count, not volume.

Water change percentage does count, depending on the level of phosphates and/or silicates in the water, as it will change the resulting concentration in the tank post-change.

Most phosphate test kits are a PITA. If you are well-source, did you have an analysis done (many jurisdictions require such)?

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David
Originally posted by auxout
Also where can I get these phosphate and silicate absorbing resins?
You can order online at: thatfishplace.com or bigalsonline.com

To go along with what RTR said. There is a resin called Purigen and another called Silicate Remover. I have used these before with success. My locally utility provider said they do have phosphates in my water. Hope this helps some.

auxout

CEO Nothing Inc.
Jan 16, 2003
NW Indiana
Visit site
My tank is a 20 gal long and I do a weekly water change around 15%.

The well was probably drilled around 30 years ago not much data to go on. I will look into some of the more recent water tests done around the subdivision, for a totally different reason. Water contamiants specifically MTBE, all came back negative but the tests probably list phosphates also.

All this information is helpful and I do appreciate it very much, thanks for taking the time to answer.

Last edited:

JP457

AC Members
Nov 30, 2002
Visit site
I used to have a lot of trouble with diatoms in my 5 gallon. Just put some small snails in there. prety soon, you'll have yurself a tiny army of algae eating machines. I think they may put the silicates into their shells.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store