Phytofeast or Rotifeast?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LauraL

AC Members
Jan 1, 2009
N.C.
[HR][/HR] I started feeding Phyto when I acquired a featherduster who, sadly, didn't make it (came out of his tube on the way home and didn't live long enough to grow another one.)

Anyway, I've kept dosing at a low level because softies are supposed to like it.

Meantime, though, I've added a couple clowns and 2 SPS frags = pocillo (pink dami) and Miami Orchid (Acro? Monti? Not sure.)

RN's site says SPS like Rotifeast, and it looks like the softies and fish and shrimp and serpent star would use Roti, too.

Anyone have experience with these? I've been told you can't stop Phyto cold turkey because it's feeding your zooplankton. Isn't that what Roti is? That is, am I growing the same thing with Phyto as I'd be putting in the tank with Roti?

Can you replace Phyto with Roti? Or add both for a while and taper off the phyto?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I can see where stopping phyto after using it for an extended period could cause some issues. I have never heard that myself.

Unless you have NPS corals or a bunch of clams, etc., roti should be fine. No reason you can't feed phyto every one in a while either. Just be careful not to overfeed or slack on your maintenance. I would add that is doesn't sound like you have anything that truly requires phyto or roti. Not saying it won't have benefit.

LauraL

AC Members
Jan 1, 2009
N.C.
Thanks, Greech. Have you ever tried Reef Frenzy? Someone recommended it as a good mix that includes stuff that SPS's like.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I use Coral Frenzy (same thing?). Corals seem to like it. Good PE but I don't see much of a difference in color . I maybe feed the tank with it once a month.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store