Pic ID bolivian rams

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mocular

Novice Expert
Feb 10, 2005
Nebraska
I bought two rams today and i believe i have a male and female but i dont know for sure. anyone that has a better eye than me your welcome to chime in. im sorry for the poor quality pics and a little distortion. the first two are of the possible female and the second two are of the male.

possible female.JPG HPIM0432.JPG HPIM0431.JPG HPIM0425.JPG

mudvayne

AC Members
Feb 28, 2004
New Hampshire
wiyth bolivians you can normally tell by the color of them and on males the dorsal fin has a more prodominant black spike coloring the females have them to but they are more towards the center of the dorsal fin. The males also have red highlights on the tips on all the fins except the dorsal fin. so all in all the males are more beautifuly colored then the females are.

Mudvayne

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
well i have two confirmed pairs..and what I think are two more females.

bolivians are difficult to sex..my two pairs the females and the males are nearly identical..the only way to tell for sure is at spawning..the females ovipositor is distinctly thicker.

also near the spawn the females belly turns a brighter shade orange pink. but the ovipositor is down at nearly the same time.

both male and female will colorup near spawning time.

my teo males are dis similar enough that any true markings are distorted..I thought the black spot on the males was more distinct..but on one male that does not hold true.
sorry..give it a few weeks and you should know..they look to be coloring up

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store