pics of clay pots in fish tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

_Ty_

MacGyver wannabe
May 28, 2009
Greensburg, Indiana

Here is a foam and conrete (pump driven waterfall) background that is in my mini terrarium. the pump is hidden behind in a cubby hole cut into bottom of foam.

styrofoam was cut, glued, broken, layered, etc.
coat styrofoam with watery/ thinly miced quickcrete in light layers allowing to dry between coats.
painted.
sealed.

that's it. pretty simple. if the concrete is mixed too thick it will crack while drying which is bad, so be patient and use thin watery layers. do not premix all of your concrete either, just what you need per layer. I used a large old paintbrush to "dab it on" for a more textured look.

rinmouse

peek-a-boo!
Aug 5, 2006
your 'rock' looks fantastic!

_Ty_

MacGyver wannabe
May 28, 2009
Greensburg, Indiana
thanks!

oh and to omplmpa3: your tank should be refered to as Eridanus - as in the greek mythology name for the river Po, ie. the river phaeton landed in when he crashed his dad's fire chariot.

one of these days I'll make a background for my 55 gallon f.w. using this method.

Last edited:

irmuddled

Powered by coffee
Jan 4, 2009
San Diego, CA
slowcountry.tumblr.com
Real Name
Maria
Well... I have a small ornamental pot in my 55g planted and I've been told it looks cheesy and takes away the natural look, but the platys like it as a hiding spot so until I stock it up with plants it'll stay. It's not pretty but just to put my two cents... the pictures come up really reflective in the daytime tho, sorry :(

FastFly67

AC Members
Sep 18, 2008
SC
the 75

the 55

you can't really see them in the 55 because they are mostly hidden by the plants
it will eventually be the same way with the 75, just a fairly new tank and not grown in yet

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal

Here is a foam and conrete (pump driven waterfall) background that is in my mini terrarium. the pump is hidden behind in a cubby hole cut into bottom of foam.

styrofoam was cut, glued, broken, layered, etc.
coat styrofoam with watery/ thinly miced quickcrete in light layers allowing to dry between coats.
painted.
sealed.

that's it. pretty simple. if the concrete is mixed too thick it will crack while drying which is bad, so be patient and use thin watery layers. do not premix all of your concrete either, just what you need per layer. I used a large old paintbrush to "dab it on" for a more textured look.

hmmm..doesn't look natural at all...maybe it is the "modular" look...just below a trailer park look...

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
:iagree:I think it is a goldfish tank and it may be Inka's.....it is quite lovely and "fresh" looking.

Sorry, not I. Maybe Orandarookie? They have a really nice tank done with glass vases planted up.

tekonus

...meh?
Nov 20, 2008
Long Island, NY
No offense, _Ty_, but I would never boil any plastic decoration for the chemical leaching reason you mentioned. Even if it is something that was sold AS an aquarium decoration. They are not designed to be boiled. I also disagree with the soap you mentioned. Washing a would or fresh tattoo with that kind of soap is one thing. We can tolerate a lot more than our poor fishies can in most cases. I guess you can say my corys are trailer trash cause they simply love the 2 small clay pots I have hidden in the background as sleeping caves. :cool: I'll post pictures as soon as I take some.

Some pics:

Mostly covered, but still functional as a hide-out

Shows another background potted cave, also one of my custom coconut caves. Took a real coconut, cleaned out ALL the meat, cut it to my liking, boiled and DONE!

The other coconut cave, close-up. This one is my ghost shrimp's domain.

I believe, if used tastefully, pots make great additions to your tank.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store