Pics of New Discus....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by Tyler718
They are looking great!! I almost bought 2 more today. (maybe tommorrow) The store I told you about here in J'ville got a new shipment in yesterday morning.
Nice! I hope they have the ones you want! I can't believe the pathetic looking and sluggish Discus they are trying to sell here in Orlando.. Only one store had some small healthy looking ones, but not what I wanted. I was going to 'special order' thru him, but he can barely speak english - and I'm not sure he's dependable, so we went with 'Discus Dream' online. They are doing much better than I thought - right-outta-the-box!

I got my UV in-line with the Filstar like you showed me! Thanks! That is a big improvement on water quality right there!! The UV is on a timer too...

Just did a water change/vacuum, and the Discus hid for only a few minutes. The Vortex is still running right now, even though the water is clear -- giving it the extra time to do its thing..

YAHOO! :)

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
Nice fish Joe.....they will react to you just like angels once they get to know you. One misconception about discus is that they have many special needs. The only one that's true is the temp must be above 82 degrees.
Just remember to keep the water clean(bi-weekly water changes at least) and they will be fine. Don't worry about the PH.
Where did you get them?
Len

Anton Wernher

AC Members
Feb 24, 2002
NC
looking good joe... Now I really want some for my 75 gallon...(must resist urge)... Good luck and keeping posting pics.

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David
Originally posted by 80gJoe

Just did a water change/vacuum, and the Discus hid for only a few minutes.

YAHOO! :)
Joe,
Mine did that for a real short time. Now when I vaccum they swim around the vaccum and my hand. When I feed them beefheart they will come and take it from my hands. I tried to find a picture that I saved to show you, but I can't find where I saved it. I hope I didn't lose it. My 1 1/2 old daughter has her hand on the glass and all the Discus are at her hand as if she is feeding them. They swarm to where ever she is around the tank. Alot of personality. When I find it I'll post it.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Last edited:

rainbow5

No fish for you!
Oct 29, 2002
Bethel, CT
pH for discus?

Len wrote "Don't worry about the PH."

I have always admired discus, but thought they were out of the question because of my pH (8-8.2) Isn't this the case? Has anyone had them in high pH?

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
PH ?

I'm not sure about high Ph, but for me, a ph of 7.0 is high enough.

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David
From what I've read, for breeding and regular keeping it's ideal for the ph to be around 6.4. On the other hand I have also read that you can keep them happily up to about 7.2 at the most. I keep my discus in a ph at 6.8. With my water that is pretty easy, but with some water in other areas that has a real high ph you are going to have a hard time keeping the ph in an ideal area.

IMHO somebody might be able to keep Discus that survive in an enviroment with a high ph, but there is a big difference in fish getting by in a tank and a fish flourishing in a tank.

You can look at it this way. A person can survive in an house with no AC and keeping the windows open when it's 95 degrees out side, but that same can be real happy in that same house when there is an AC kicking with the windows closed. :D

Just a few of my thoughts.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store