Pictures of our Blood Parrot Cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jill-O

All American Girl (all grown up)
The other day, I took some pictures of our blood parrot cichlids and wanted to show them to you folks.

The ones that have black marks on them do not have black spot disease. Rather, they are in the process of changing from their "baby" colors when they were tan-grey-black colored over to the typical orange-red color.

Their home is a 75g tank with two Penguin 350 Bio-Wheel Filters, a Rena XP3 filter, heater, and two airstone disks with a 100g bubbler. So far as I can tell, they've been doing really well. We bought the first of them last summer.

We just love them. They've got so much personality and, to me, look like living cartoon characters.

Thanks for looking at our blood parrots!

And this is them in their tank:

piggy67

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
Battle Creek, Mich.
Real Name
Dion
Beautiful parrots and tank...

nc0gnet0

Discus Breeder
Oct 31, 2009
Grand Rapids
Real Name
Rick
You do understand how big these will get in time don't you? I have two blood parrots myself, a breeding pair (ok for lack of a better term). The largest is nearly 10" long tip of nose to tip of tail.

Mine were rescues from a LFS in which there previous owners brought them in for store credit (they outgrew there tank). I had a 200 gallon tank that I recently just had moved the prior occupants and the GF loved them some home they went with me.

They are great fish with a ton of personality. Bam Bam and Pebbles are inseperable and always come to the front of the tank to greet you.

Jill-O

Piggy -- Thanks :) They are fun fish to keep!

nc0 -- I really strive to be informed about all our animals needs and provide well for them. The fish are no exception. Our blood parrots are not the king kong variety and they should do just fine in the supremely filtered 75g tank we have provided, but thanks for sharing your insight.

RhondaAnn

AC Members
Feb 4, 2009
You have adorable BP's and a great tank for them. I especially like the blue background. I've had mine for around 3 years and they are my favorites as for personality and CUTENESS. I love what you said about them looking like living cartoon characters, how true that is! You will have years of enjoyment out of these guys.

Jill-O

Thanks, RhondaAnn! They are definitely some of the most entertaining / endearing fish a person can have :)

BeelzeBob

-CHAUVINIST PIG-
Mar 18, 2006
Boulder, Co.
HOW AGGRESSIVE ARE THEY TOWARDS OTHER FISH?

Mean as hell like all other cichlids? or can they be with a potlock of other fish?

Jill-O

They are not aggressive. We've kept our blood parrot cichlids with a variety of community type tropical fish w/o any issues. The fish we have kept them with include cories, platies, tiger barbs, buenos aires tetras, and rainbow cichlids (which are also community friendly cichlids). They are really fun fish, one of my favorites easily!

gt1009

AC Members
Jan 8, 2009
Since their mouths are triangular shaped and they can't close all the way, these fish can not really inflict damage on other fish the same as other cichlids can.

Jill-O

"Their mouths can't close" is a popular belief and I'm sure it's so in many BP's, but as you can see from the pictures of mine, their mouths are closed and not deformed. However, they do great in a community type tank just the same :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store