Pictus Catfish just dropped dead

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Good job, maga.

magakitty

Normal people scare me
Apr 5, 2007
Palm Springs
mysobrietyspace.ning.com
:dance2: Thank you, thank you very much.... happy dance, but we'll save the party until it is finished! Hubby is greatly relieved!

It will be nice to be able to walk in the door and look at the fishies again. I came in from work today (the tank is directly across the living room from the front door) and my immediate reaction was check on the fish, and then I realized they weren't there - grieving process, you know. but we are being patient this time. Promise!

magakitty

Normal people scare me
Apr 5, 2007
Palm Springs
mysobrietyspace.ning.com
Tank is cycling nicely now - the Nitrites are on the rise almost to 5.0 now and the ammonia is going down.

Used a couple of the plastic plants from the 20 to seed the 55 we got set up today! We also dumped the cycled 1 gal into the 55 to help it along. the 20 that we have been struggling with is going to be a schooling tank and the 55 is going to be a chiclid tank!! And the 1 gal is going into retirement

Mar 29, 2007
use maybe a few handfulls of gravel

magakitty

Normal people scare me
Apr 5, 2007
Palm Springs
mysobrietyspace.ning.com
We dumped all of the gravel from the one gallon tank in the 55 along with the water, and we swished the tank around in the big one to get the bacteria that was clinging to the inside as well. Hubby just ran to pet smart to see if he could find a hood for the 55 (actually need (2) 24 inchers

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
What cichlids do you have in mind?

magakitty

Normal people scare me
Apr 5, 2007
Palm Springs
mysobrietyspace.ning.com
Uh - Africans? I'm not sure. Hubby was talking to the guy at the LFS about them He wants pairs or trios (one male and two females) There's a blue one, I think it's something like Mbuna, and then there were some yellow ones and some orange ones. and a different kind of catfish than we have looked at before that the guy told him would go good in the tank.

I haven't done enough research on chiclids yet to figure out what we should get. I just know what he wants, and what (kinda) the guy at the LFS told him. I was looking at plants for the 20 gal. community tank (not quite cycled yet - so still fishless), so not really paying close attention. I know Steve is wanting bright colors and color diversity in the 55 gal.

We are disagreeing on the cycle though. I still favor a fishless cycle, like I am doing on the 20 gal. but the LFS has him convinced that if you do it right it doesn't matter anymore. He has him convinced (but I think it wouldn't take too much to unconvince him) that the 55 would be just fine in a chiclid fishy cycle, as long as he starts with 2-4 fish. Any thoughts?

Mar 29, 2007
no, african cichlids are not hardy enough to cycle. You could do it if you stock very very slowly (1 small cichlid per week or once every 2 weeks) but that will just be harder and longer than a fishless. Tell your hubby that during a fishless cycle you dont need to change water therefor you save on the water bill, tell him that a fish cycle could need to have 25 gallons of water changed every day

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/

True, with very careful control, you can do a fishy cycle. The issue will always revolve around, how much stress is acceptable and when is the onset of it.

I am of the school that any levels of ammonia and nitrites can cause gill damage, which in turn may affect the health of the fish and affect the future lifespan of them. It is very specific to species and so many other factors, and the debates rage on here from time to time on what is and isn't acceptable.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Mar 29, 2007
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/

True, with very careful control, you can do a fishy cycle. The issue will always revolve around, how much stress is acceptable and when is the onset of it.

I am of the school that any levels of ammonia and nitrites can cause gill damage, which in turn may affect the health of the fish and affect the future lifespan of them. It is very specific to species and so many other factors, and the debates rage on here from time to time on what is and isn't acceptable.

Just my 2 cents. :)
agreed, i had 5 zebra danios that cycled my tank, they finished cycling very very very well and healthy, then after a few weeks 3 of them went belly up one by one by unknown causes. Ever since then i am pro fishless cycle

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store