Pictus Question/Stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ashmama

Registered Member
Mar 19, 2017
Hi guys! I need some advice. I am just starting a new 55 gallon community tank.. I currently have 6 glow tetras and am trying to figure out how I want to stock the rest of the fish. Below are some fish that I am thinking about, and want to know if this combination will work. I really like the Pictus cats, but read that they need small groups of 3 or more and I'm afraid my tank isn't big enough. Does anyone have experience with only 1 in their community tank?? Thanks so much for the help and all suggestions are welcome! Thanks.

GloFish Tetras-8
Sajica Cichlid-1
Angelfish-2-3
Polka-Dot Pictus-3
Maybe some hatchets and/or swordtails

Also, how many of each of the schooling fish would go with this combo?

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
Hi guys! I need some advice. I am just starting a new 55 gallon community tank.. I currently have 6 glow tetras and am trying to figure out how I want to stock the rest of the fish. Below are some fish that I am thinking about, and want to know if this combination will work. I really like the Pictus cats, but read that they need small groups of 3 or more and I'm afraid my tank isn't big enough. Does anyone have experience with only 1 in their community tank?? Thanks so much for the help and all suggestions are welcome! Thanks.

GloFish Tetras-8
Sajica Cichlid-1
Angelfish-2-3
Polka-Dot Pictus-3
Maybe some hatchets and/or swordtails

Also, how many of each of the schooling fish would go with this combo?
I had a single pictus in a community, then moved him to a less-crowded tank w/ 3 Colombian Sharks and he schooled with them, then I moved the sharks and the Pictus is the only catfish besides a small pardalis sailfin pleco and he is very active and healthy. They do better in groups, but will do just fine by themselves.

Another option you might consider is some Emerald Corys or Peppered Corys - my pictus certainly seemed to take a liking to them being active all the time and schooled with them as well. I for a 55g, a small group of maybe 6 Emeralds would be excellent company for a lone Pictus

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store