Pinching off bunched plant roots damage plant?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WayneN

AC Members
Jun 13, 2017
Hi, I'd like to know, if I pinch off the bottom of stems of bunched plants that have roots will that damage the plants? I just got some bunched plants that are too tall and I'd like to shorten them. So I'd have to pinch off the bottom of the stems that have roots. I'm assuming, if they don't die, the roots will grow back. But I may have to keep pinching off the roots to keep shortening the plants. Will this harm the plants? I don't know what kind of plants they are. They're from Petco. I tried buying plants from Amazon, but they're $15 a piece that includes shipping and they all died. So I thought for that price, buy some for $3.49 a bunch and hope some live. I'm guessing they're all medium light. I'm using Flourish Excel and Flourish.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Nope, that's how stem plants are trimmed. Cut off the old bottom portion and replant the tops. The roots are grown mainly to anchor the plants. They are primarily leaf feeders and are perfectly happy just floating in the water column.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
If you're worried you can also leave 2 or 3 inches of the rooted old parts & replant the tops. You'll like get a branched bunch from the old parts & pretty new growth from the newer. Then you'll learn to pull the entire bunch & toss the old when you get enough. Either way can work.

WayneN

AC Members
Jun 13, 2017
Thanks a bunch for the speedy replies! I pinched them shorter to fit the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store