plant die-off

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mldncx

AC Members
Mar 19, 2008
East Central Indiana
My java moss ball has come loose from its anchor, turned brown and is separating. Also, the blanket of algae on the back wall of the tank is disappearing. What's happening?

1oooop

int x; if {x>1} {std::cout
Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
any water tests?? do you have anything in the water?? do you have any lights??

mldncx

AC Members
Mar 19, 2008
East Central Indiana
any water tests?? do you have anything in the water?? do you have any lights??
My water params are ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10 ppm, GH 150 ppm, KH 300 ppm, pH 7.8. Looks OK to me. I have only plastic plants, a few red cherry shrimp and a snail in addition to the java moss. My lighting is two compact fluorescent bulbs, 13 watts apiece.

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
What's the size of the tank? If it's less than a 55g, I would think that that's enough light for Java moss. I've had it survive in a pretty dark tank with no light over it, only ambient room light in a fairly dim room. I don't know what the requirements of an algae wall would be, and I didn't know that anyone would like an algae wall. Then again, maybe you're talking about something else, lol.

Anyway, I have no idea what the GH and KH levels should be, since I'm not that experienced. I have pretty low maintenance tanks and don't really need to worry about that (that I know of, lol). The pH might be a little high for optimum growth of plants, since many grow best in closer to 6 or 7 pH, but I don't know if it is too high.

I've noticed some of my Java moss looking pretty brown, but it is still living and even spreading. I try to tie it down when I can, but sometimes there are threads or sections that get loose and just float about. Some people actually use it as a floating plant, so I would think that it getting loose is not the factor that made it turn brown.

mldncx

AC Members
Mar 19, 2008
East Central Indiana
I had hoped to maintain the algae wall for any rcs little ones to feed on. Although, that's probably not going to happen. I can't seem to be able to keep the adults for more than a few months.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
test copper... some plants and most, if not all inverts are very sensitive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store