Plant ideas?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lefky

AC Members
Apr 14, 2019
I have a 20g long tank with 1 hatchetfish, 4 neon tetras, and 4 corys. I am going to be restocking very soon to 1-2 GBR’s, 6-8 Harlequin Rasbora, 6 corys, and 4 hatchetfish. My water parameters are: 160GH 80KH 7.3PH 2nitrites 0nitrates and 0ammonia. I am going to fix the nitrites and complete the cycle before changing my fish stock. I have a list below of plants of what I think will work in my tank? Any ideas and opinions will be appreciated. Thanks!
Edit: Gravel Substrate and 80-84F water.

6A203264-C77B-4DA7-9641-E26469D56BCF.jpeg

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
Assuming a low light, low tech tank, I'd say you can't go wrong with most crypts, and with the dwarf sag for grouncover.

Amazon swords get pretty big. Two healthy swords would completely take over the tank and would require a couple inches of substrate.

Ludwigia Repens and Rotala Indica need moderate light and perferably some Co2 to do well long term.

Dwarf lilies can be fun, but bear in mind, they die back and then re-emerger when you least expect it!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
How much light do you have?

And did you mean specifically Amazon swords, or just members of the sword family?

There are also bunches of different cryptocoryne too.

But I suspect any which way, except for the water Spangles (assuming that salvinia species are legal for you) you are likely going to want to have something for nutrition within the substrate too.

Lefky

AC Members
Apr 14, 2019
Assuming a low light, low tech tank, I'd say you can't go wrong with most crypts, and with the dwarf sag for grouncover.

Amazon swords get pretty big. Two healthy swords would completely take over the tank and would require a couple inches of substrate.

Ludwigia Repens and Rotala Indica need moderate light and perferably some Co2 to do well long term.

Dwarf lilies can be fun, but bear in mind, they die back and then re-emerger when you least expect it!
I will probably go with crypts then! What colorful plants do you recommend for my type of tank?
How much light do you have?

And did you mean specifically Amazon swords, or just members of the sword family?

There are also bunches of different cryptocoryne too.

But I suspect any which way, except for the water Spangles (assuming that salvinia species are legal for you) you are likely going to want to have something for nutrition within the substrate too.
I have moderate lighting, It came with the set so all I know is that it is white LED. Any swords that will be ok in my tank will do. I dont want to get into fertilizer, just the liquid API I currently use and root tabs.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
There are many cool species & colors of crypts (my fav genera!). Most are pretty easy to grow.

I'm not sure what "water spangles" are, it's a new term to me...

Lefky

AC Members
Apr 14, 2019
There are many cool species & colors of crypts (my fav genera!). Most are pretty easy to grow.

I'm not sure what "water spangles" are, it's a new term to me...
Water spangles are small floating plants with a 1-3in root hanging down. Super cool!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
It's a common name, can be any of the common salvinia species

Moderate light is a fairly generic term.. let's assume 'low tech' for this purpose.

Lots of crypts will be too big for a 20g long tank.. I have a number of different species that ate about to the top in a 30g aquarium.. I gave also had some too tall for a 90g.. so research specific species.

For swords, I would look at Vesuvius, or some of the dwarf/chain swords.

Lefky

AC Members
Apr 14, 2019
It's a common name, can be any of the common salvinia species

Moderate light is a fairly generic term.. let's assume 'low tech' for this purpose.

Lots of crypts will be too big for a 20g long tank.. I have a number of different species that ate about to the top in a 30g aquarium.. I gave also had some too tall for a 90g.. so research specific species.

For swords, I would look at Vesuvius, or some of the dwarf/chain swords.
Alright, do you know of any low tech colorful ones? Like redish?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store