Plant Newbie need help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Zik

AC Members
Oct 27, 2007
Hey I have a 29 gallon tank that I've been maintaining for a couple years now that I've kept very lightly planted.

I've been wanting to heavily plant the tank and have been reading a lot about how to maintain a heavily planted tank but I have a few questions..

Will i need to keep dirt under my gravel? The few plants I've had in there for a long time are fine without it..

and I was looking at Co2 stuff I was thinking of getting the Hagen Natural Plant system... although I've seen a lot of people saying excel works just fine... any suggestions?

fgump

AC Members
May 17, 2007
Utah
'dirt' isn't required. But it can help reduce cost in the long run, depending on what plants you have. Some plants will require root tabs if you just have normal sand/gravel. With the special plant substrates, you won't have to use root tabs.

The Hagen CO2 system is ok. But for a heavily planted 29 gallon, you'll need at least two, maybe more.

Excel is a source of carbon, and will help. But C02 is a better source of carbon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store