plant roots being eaten

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shadow999991

AC Members
Feb 12, 2009
i have alot of trumpet snails in my tank, ive used snail traps to keep the numbers low but they still have been eating the roots off my plants. ive moved the plants to a 10gal im cycling for my betta (his old tank got craked and leaks badly) is there anyway that anyone can think of to get ride of the snails with out chemicals? id like to move my plants back into my 55

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
You can drain the tank and thougholy look through all the ornaments and kill the individual snails. It just takes work and is a pain. What else is in the tank?

shadow999991

AC Members
Feb 12, 2009
well i actualy just changed the stock (had a big tyrent angelfish) traded him in for some neons, white clouds, male guppys, a bristle nose, a whiptail, and some rams.

captaincaveman9

Innocent and Pure!
Oct 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Steve
you can bait the snails out, get some zucchini and tie it to something to let it stay on the bottome and after 24 hours, you will have a large number of the snails. unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to make sure you got all the snails without chemicals of some sort (like bleaching the tank)

captaincaveman9

Innocent and Pure!
Oct 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Steve
You can drain the tank and thougholy look through all the ornaments and kill the individual snails. It just takes work and is a pain. What else is in the tank?

Not really an effective method, as many of the tiny snails / larvae are almost impossible to see with the naked eye

shadow999991

AC Members
Feb 12, 2009
well i was using an old school milk jug with an algea wafer to bait the snails it definatly cut down there numbers but a week later there are tons of teeny tiny snails everywhere.

captaincaveman9

Innocent and Pure!
Oct 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Steve
you'll need to stop feeding for a few days too and do some gravel vacuuming so the snails have no other food to eat

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
I have a 20 long with hundreds (sometimes) of trumpet snails (MTS). It is a heavily planted tank I have never had an issue with them eating the roots of my plants. My plants stock consists of: Bocopa sp., Amazon sp., Val. sp., Dwarf Hair Grass, and Najas Grass Sp., There is another stem but I forgot the name of it.

It could be something else harming the roots of the plants.

Best wishes,
Wes

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store