Plant suggestions for Turtles

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Malbri

User
Dec 11, 2006
Hey everyone! We are building a new setup for our 2 box turtles, and I am hoping to add some live plants. I understand that the turtles may rip up the plants, but that is part of the fun (enrichment for the turtles!) My plan is to use something like cat litter pans to have multiple pans full of plants growing at a time and swap the pan out as the turtles destroy their old ones. Is this a reasonable expectation or are they going to destroy them more quickly than I can grow them?
Does anyone have any suggestions for what types of plants to use. Obviously, they have to be adapted to high humidity and be edible for the turtles. The easier and quicker to grow, the better. I would also appreciate resources as to where to obtain these plants or seeds as well as how the heck to grow them.

We also are in the process of acquiring a second red eared slider, and have 2 map turtles, an african sideneck turtle and another turtle whose name is just not coming to me right now. We would like to have some aquatic plants in their tanks, and are taking suggestions for those too. I'm guessing floating plants are going to be the best bet for them.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
I have lots of experience with box turtles....but in an outdoor setting. What species are you keeping and are they indoors/outdoors or both?

Malbri

User
Dec 11, 2006
Great question..... are you good at IDing them? The people before me did not know what type they were and I'm new to turtles.
They are in an indoor setup year round.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
The photo is really tiny but it looks like a male 3-toed Box Turtle. They are omnivores so any plants you keep with them will likely be nibbled on or destroyed. They love digging so anything planted in the tank won't last long unless it's out of reach. Now, if you were to construct an outdoor pen in the summer, you could plant all types of natural and native plants for him to feed on.

Malbri

User
Dec 11, 2006
I figured if I went with the idea of swapping out tubs with plants in them it would work. Even if they destroyed them quickly, it would at least be good occasional enrichment.
Unfortunately an outdoor habitat is not feasible with our location and budget.

Malbri

User
Dec 11, 2006

I'm looking at pictures and they look similar, but it has I believe actually 5 toes in the front. Also, based on the shell shape looks like maybe a female? The name "she" came with was Wilma, so someone at some point figured female at least.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
It's definitely a 3-toed. They get the name from the number of toes on the BACK feet. But sometimes they will still have 4 toes on the rear. The eye coloring to me says male but your turtle has a very funky shell. It looks like it didn't have a good diet when it was a hatchling and growing. Seems to have suffered from a shell disorder called Pyramiding which is a result of too much protein in the diet. Make sure your turtles gets some veggies in it's diet like grated carrots, zucchini, squash, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries. You can try leafy greens like romaine lettuce, kale, dandelion and collard greens but some turtles might not eat them.

Malbri

User
Dec 11, 2006
They get lots of fruits and veggies in their diet and they do eat them. I'm not sure what they were being fed before. Right now we do about 50% fruits and veggies, 50% proteins, which is what I have read is what is suggested. Is the condition anything that can be corrected with time and good diet or will it always be that way?
And if I can get some edible plants in there, they certainly will get plenty of greens!

I also found out that doing an outdoor habitat this summer may be a possibility! We were able to brainstorm our way around the harmful soil and dangerous wildlife issues so hopefully they can be outside for at least a couple months (our snow doesn't melt til mid-june and it starts snowing again the beginning of October.) So if you do have any outdoor plant suggestions hit me with them!

weird2u

AC Members
Mar 31, 2010
I would like to know if there are any plants (houseplants included) that are DANGEROUS to three toeds? Also, I am looking for recommendations on nail clippers for my 3 toed.

Thanks in advance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store