Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Plant suggestions?

Discussion in 'Planted Aquariums' started by authmal, Oct 31, 2018.

1. authmal

authmal Pseudonovice

Jan 13, 2019
    This is a two part post.

The first part is about red plants. Alright, I tried to find a thread regarding this part, but obviously wasn't using the correct keywords. Wife talked me into mosaic temple plants (ludwigia sedoida, I believe), and I don't think I got enough information from the LFS (my fault for not paying enough attention probably, new to me store, and my attention was wandering) about them. When we brought them home, they were beautiful, red and green, and made a great addition. In the weeks since, the red has faded, and it looks like they're just not doing well. Research that seemed vaguely familiar indicated that they need tons of light (I'd say I'm good for moderate) and dosing of nutrients. I have been pretty low tech with my plants, but want more information before taking the plunge. Red plants? Supplement with iron? I know all the supplements won't help insufficient lighting, but I'm still curious.

The second part is admitting defeat on these beauties doing well in my tanks. What else would you folks suggest that has the some of the following characteristics: stem plant that can grow tall, provide shade at lower levels, good with low to medium light, and doesn't need a lot of supplementation? I guess I could learn to supplement, but that hasn't been on the agenda thus far. Previously, I had java fern, peacock moss, and bacopa (not caroliniana, but a very fast growing kind) and a crypt (I can't remember what variety). They all went the way of the dodo with a lighting issue that I wasn't motivated enough to address properly until it was much too late for those plants. Now, I have java fern, java and peacock moss, anubias nana, bacopa caroliniana, the mosaic temple plants, and a banana plant. I really liked the mosaics' ability to grow to the top of the water and provide shade.

2. the loach

the loach AC Members

29 minutes ago
    Mosaic temple plant? Something like this?
    [​IMG]

Not an aquatic plant but a submerged house plant.
    For stem plants look for Hygrophila polysperma, corymbosa and stricta, they don't require high lighting.
    There are a couple of swords like rose and osiris that have reddish or brownish leaves but also don't require high lighting.

3. authmal

authmal Pseudonovice

Jan 13, 2019
    upload_2018-10-31_10-59-8.jpeg

That's at the top, and a top down view. Ludwigia sedoides. The bloom grows at the top of a stem.

4. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

Today at 12:08 AM
    Red tiger nymphaea lily is not a stem plant but might work for you. Mine's not as red as my friends' with co2 but a pretty mottled red & green. It's bushy now & will eventually send leaves to the surface...& shade the entire tank if you let it, lol. I have 2 T-5 bulbs, so "medium" light.

For an easy stem green with red underneath you might look at rotala repens x arcuata or pinkish r. "indica"

5. DefJ123

DefJ123 AC Members

Today at 6:17 AM
    For a stemmed plant, you could try alternanthera reineckii. Mine are in low tech tank, moderate light and growing very well.