Plant to absorb nitrates?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Freezekougra

AC Members
May 17, 2009
Brooklyn NY
something effective or something in your tank actually?

for in the tank with no regards to what a pain removal will be once your tank is a green box... najas definitely!

to fill in a corner or back area while consuming nitrates... wisteria.

for best results in your tank... something either floating or breaking the surface to make use of co2 in the air... not only are your normal floaters good options but stem plants often do well as floaters too.

for best results... a hardy house plant that grows well, demands little and doesn't mind a bad case of "wet feet". pothos in an hob or sump filter would work very well imo.
my mom got some kind of house plant from her neighbor, she said i could put it in my hob but there's a shelf right above the tank and not much space for the plant to grow/get light

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
Hornwort, Anacharis, and Water Sprite are the best spongers IME and would probably work in your light, as all are not picky.

Last edited:

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Duckweed is also very effective for absorbing nitrates, but can be a bigger hassle than Najas. It will grow under a dim flashlight beam, and cover the surface completely in a couple of weeks.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Sessiliflora, cabomba, sunset hygro, anacharis are real nitrate hogs and the sessiliflora and anacharis grows super fast and I have to trim them every 2-3 weeks. I let the anacharis go as a free floating plant as well as the sessiliflora, even though it is a root plant it does well in <1wpg.

Java moss does better if the water is kept slightly cooler.

Anoxia

AC Members
Jan 12, 2010
Hornwort always promptly falls apart in my tank, it could be that it can't handle my hard water. Anacharis does great though, and my pothos plant is growing gigantic leaves at an amazing rate ever since I stuck it's roots in the aquarium. Never tried najas, but I plan to.

ianab

AC Members
Sep 19, 2009
New Zealand
Remember you want to have plants that are threatening to take over the tank, and be removing some of them from time to time. That way you actually take the Nitrogen that they have abosrbed out of the system. If the old leaves are dieing or getting eaten then the nitrogen goes back into the cycle again. But if you remove extra plants you are removing nitrogen.

Ian

Last edited:

Bio123

AC Members
Sep 20, 2009
I would give hornwort and anacharis a try, as jpappy789 suggested. They grow fast and balance out all your water problems. They don't have roots either, so you can just tie them down.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
pothos will grow almost anywhere... i wouldn't even consider lighting it unless it was in a dungeon or under your cabinet void of light.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store