Plantbrain please.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Skittyfish

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
South Central,KY
Visit site
I have my CO2 on my tank, kh is right at 3 and pH is 6.7.
110w c/f on a 72g.

I need to add ferts. At what levels should I add?

I have Flourish and Flourish Trace. Substrate is gravel/laterite mix.
My tap has no phosphate and I am only gettin .025 occasionally from the tank when I test.
Nitrate is > 5.

Please tell me what to get (Stump remover, fleet,etc.) and how much to add because I am totally ignorant when it comes to ferts.

TIA

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
Skitty, go to the search button and type in Tom Barr or Plantbrain.
He's given the exact advice you're asking for many times. You just have to fine tune it to your tank.
Keep your nitrates between 5-12.5. Your phosphates at 1.0.
I dose those two as needed.
Potassium is added after your weekly water change. Traces after water change and at mid-week.
Since you are running about 1 1/4 watts per gallon you shouldn't have any problem with algae.
Len

superstein61

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Skitty - I was just going to post but Len beat me to it. This isn't directed at you - but folks need to remember to use the search function - there's a lot of stuff out there that has been covered several times.

People should also not forget to check the archives - there is some good info there as well. In fact, I believe your answer can be found on this archived thread:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1374

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Yes, excellent thread......go to that thread, scroll down to the bottom, and copy all that info to your computer so that you'll have it when you need it. If you follow that regimen you will rid yourself of algae. Goooooood Stuff!!!
Incidentally, 6.7pH sounds about right for the parameters you stated. Keep and eye on it. You're on the right track, Skitty.
Len

Skittyfish

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
South Central,KY
Visit site
Thanks for the thread. I did search, but I couldn't find it. And for what it's worth I did copy that thread and print it out when it was new, but some helper(read 7 yr old) was cleaning up the desk and threw everything out. Now I keep it on file on the computer.

Thanks again.

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Hey Skitty, if I remember correctly you have an AquaClear on that tank right? If so, you will find that by adjusting the flow on that down(a little at a time) you can decrease the amount of off-gassing and you will see a slight lowering of pH because you won't lose as much CO2. Try it if you have a little filtration to play with. It will save you come gas.
I have two AQ-300's on my 55 and had plenty of filtration. It really helped especially when I was using DIY CO2.
Len

Skittyfish

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
South Central,KY
Visit site
Nope, djlen, I have an eheim 2026 with the spray bar under water and just barely moving the surface. I am making a reactor out of a gravel tube and my powerhead, but it really takes up a lot of room. I can't find a Duetto filter here, can you think of anything else similar? Small enough to go inside but big enough to do something?

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
I've seen some pretty small gravel tubes. Mine is hardly noticable. I have it sitting behind a big old amazon sword plant. In fact it looks just like the one in Tempest's picture.
I think you can buy a Duetto from Big Al's.
Len

Skittyfish

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
South Central,KY
Visit site
Djlen, thanks. So far I have Fleet for the KH2PO4, and Spectracide Stump Remover granules for the KNO3. I am going to try Southern States or a local Fertilzer Co. for the K2SO4.
Boy, did I get some weird looks at Lowes when the salesperson asked what I need potash of sulfur for. He looked at my daughter as if to ask if I was "all there". He was very helpful though.

I will post picks of before and after in about a month or so.
Thanks for your help.

Plantbrains

AC Members
Mar 11, 2003
the swamp
Visit site
I'd add 1/2 teaspoon KNO3 2x a week.
1/2 teaspoon of K2SO4 after water change only.
50% weekly water change
Add 4-6 drops of Fleet enema/ or 1/16-1/8 teaspoon of KH2PO4 2x a week.
15mls of traces 2x a week.

pH for a KH of 3 should be 6.5. Add more CO2 till you get this pH.

Repeat weekly.

Regards,
Tom Barr

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store