Planted 120G Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
Well I'm still playing around with plant placements but the tank I'm satisfied to say is completely cycled and currently home to (15) Cardinals, (23) Otos, (6) Sterbi, (30) Balloon Rams and an unknown number RCS.

Flora:
Anubias barteri v. 'nana'
Anubias barteri v. 'nana petite'
Blyxa japonica
Bacopa monnieri
Echinodorus cordifolius (Tropica Marble Queen)
Echinodorus osiris (Melon Sword)
Hydrocharis morsus (Frogbit)
Hygrophila corymbosa v. 'Angustifolia'
Lobelia cardinalis sp dwarf
Ludwigia inclinata v. verticillata 'Cuba'
Ludwigia repens
Microsorum pteropus (Java)
Myriophyllum mattogrossense
Myriophyllum pinnatum (Green Foxtail)
Pogostemon stellatus sp narrow leaf
Rotala rotundifolia sp green
Rotala rotundifolia sp Colorata
Sagittaria subulata (Dwarf Sagittaria)
Taxiphyllum sp (Flame Moss)

Left Side

The plan for the left will be to attach Flame Moss to the thinner piece of driftwood on top. The 4 or 5 stems of the Ludwigia Cuba on the far left I'm hoping to trade locally for a midground or forground plant I don't already have list above locally in NJ. I'll be posting something in the classifieds if I have too.

Right Side

The plan for the right is to nurse the green foxtail back to health. I had it in a low tech tank and it didn't do as well. I need to do some triming and a few minor touch-ups. I also need to grow some of the plants even further to fill in the space the way I need it.

Other than that I'm pretty satisfied with the direction of the tank and don't have any terrible complaints about it so far.

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
Well I stop being lazy and added a background, which makes it less distracting to the eye keeping the focus on tank instead of the wall light switch.

AfroCichlid: Thanks. It is a bit of challenge due to the size and have had years of failed attempts, but it was due to poor information and inexperience.

DrVader: Thanks. I was originally afraid that the driftwood would be to overwhelming for the tank because of there size, but as you can see it's easily starting to fad in with the plants.

My poor camera skills don't give the tanks appearance justice

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
I'm traveling down that same road right now. there's a lot of misinformation in this hobby and what works for one person doesn't always work for the next person. The tank looks a heck of a lot better with the backround, it really draws the attention to the tank's contents and gives a sense of depth.

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
AfroCichlid: If you haven't done so already look into finding a local club. Seeing what they are doing in their planted tanks 1st hand has definitely helped me, but you are exactly right no 2 members are doing things the same. You have to find what works for you.

Yeah I lost sight of how much of an impact the background would make it really makes the colors pop. Now I have to work on doing it on my other tanks...:)

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
I've looked into local clubs, but the only one around me is a reef club. I've been okay at working things out on my own, but without a dedicated " planted tank ", I'm not overly concerned with trying to get it right. I keep Tanganyikans, which is a strike against any sort of " real " planted tank what with the hard water, and I keep Geophagus, which are staunchly opposed to any sort of plant life in their substrate. One day... when I can afford an RO/DI, pro CO2, and ferts...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store