PLANTED TANK HELP NEEDED!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Beautiful tank, TTA!

Tom, I think if you want low tech you need some different plants. Most anacharis (elodea) like cool temps & as TTA said, hates Excel (so do valliseria species). Hairgrass has never grown well for me in low tech (no co2). There are stem plants that grow ok low tech, red ludwegia isn't 1 I have had good luck with....& you tank is small so you want smallish plants.

Let me think on this, I belong to a plant club so I've tried many plants...& killed quite a few, lol. I've never had such a small tank, 10g is as small as I've kept.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
OK, after some thought, here goes my small tank plant recommendations: corkscrew vallisneria 6-9 inches tall (if you don't use Excel, maybe dwarf sagiteria if you do), any of the cryptocorynes Wendtii (red, Mi oya & maybe brown, they'd like a root tab fertilizer), java fern "Philippine" on rocks or wood, also anubias nana or nana petite, also above the substrate. Ground covers are harder, think liliaeopsis or glossostigma.

For stem plants, I have had good luck with ludwegia repens X arcuata & the so called rotala "indica" (I'm not sure exactly what the heck it was 10 years ago, I think it was called R. rotundifolia back then)...Stems need lots of attention.

Many people like mosses of various kinds, I haven't for many years. They tend to need a lot of trimming & grow everywhere you don't want them to grow, I like lower maintenance than that needs to keep it under control.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store