Planting my new tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MadRiley61

AC Members
Jan 23, 2017
I'm getting ready to set up my new 55 gl but have a few questions about planting. I hear people on YouTube mentioning soil, do I need anything special to plant in or is just my gravel substrate going to do the job? When I buy plants do I want to purchase ones in pots or the ones just stuck into substrate or even floating around? Is it seriously safe to superglue plants to driftwood and rock?
Thanks again

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, just to be confusing (or maybe helpful); different plants have different needs...Java fern, anubias, & most mosses are tied or glued (superglue gel) to wood or rocks. They "can be" planted if the rhizome (sideways stem, except mosses) is above the substrate (any substrate, gravel, sand etc). I'm, after 35+ years in the hobby, still a bit afraid of soils, they have some issues over Eco Complete, Flourite & inert substrates (gravel or sand) etc. I would not start with soil until you get some experience. Smaller gravel is easier to plant IME.

Easy plants include most cryptocorynes, java fern & mosses, anubias...but only a few stem plants & very few "ground covers". Others beginner plants are valiseria & sagiteria (both kinda grass-like) & swords...depending on your lighting.

What lighting do you have over a 55g?

MadRiley61

AC Members
Jan 23, 2017
Well, just to be confusing (or maybe helpful); different plants have different needs...Java fern, anubias, & most mosses are tied or glued (superglue gel) to wood or rocks. They "can be" planted if the rhizome (sideways stem, except mosses) is above the substrate (any substrate, gravel, sand etc). I'm, after 35+ years in the hobby, still a bit afraid of soils, they have some issues over Eco Complete, Flourite & inert substrates (gravel or sand) etc. I would not start with soil until you get some experience. Smaller gravel is easier to plant IME.

Easy plants include most cryptocorynes, java fern & mosses, anubias...but only a few stem plants & very few "ground covers". Others beginner plants are valiseria & sagiteria (both kinda grass-like) & swords...depending on your lighting.

What lighting do you have over a 55g?
The hoods came with T-8 full spectrum bulbs but I'm more than happy to switch them out if there's a better product for plant growth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store