planting?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dabruno

AC Members
Jun 11, 2007
!!!!fish dead help!!!!

ok i have a problem
4 of the 6 fish that i got died already,
one of them just dissappeared and the rest floated to the top. i went to bed yesterday and thay were all fine and in the morn.......dead
the 4th death was noon today and i noticed htat b4 it died it's top lip was gone?
what is going on here???
?!?!?!?!?:help:!?!?!?!?!

dabruno

AC Members
Jun 11, 2007
any real help at all???
when i got the water tested everything was fine...
there night have been a tiny bit of ammonia tho it was so close u coludnt tell... it read btw 1-0 but was closer to zero.???
HELP

dabruno

AC Members
Jun 11, 2007
could the shrimp possibly be killing the fish since they are living so close together?

its down to 2 fish from 6

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
The water is fine now because the cycle hasn't even started. The first stage if Cycling is a rise in ammonia after about 2 weeks, there is a rise in Nitrites, then 2 weeks after that, the ammonia and the Nitrites go down as the Nitrates level increases.

The water part of the vivarium hasn't started yet, that's what killed off your fish. I told you that a cycle usually lasts about 4-6 weeks, yet you got the fish anyways. Go back to the store where you got them from and return them until the cycle is complete.

dabruno

AC Members
Jun 11, 2007
i thought that that was about 4 weeks ago so i added fish
i guess ill waight a little whilt w/o fish
can i still keep the shrimp in there? cuz they are really good cleaners and eat anything that i dont want in the water

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
I should have clarified and said that the 4-6 weeks starts when you put something alive in the water.

You can still keep the shrimp. But expect a couple of them to die.

dabruno

AC Members
Jun 11, 2007
oh... oops my bad im really new to this as my dad runs the other fish tank in the house. i will transfer them to my dads tank tonight (it is a community tank so it is ok.)
i will get a test kit so i can monitor the cycle as it goes
is there anything that i can do to push the cycle along?

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
Yes, you can! Ask your dad for some gravel or sand from his tank, put it in a nylon stocking, and hang it in your tank water. This should speed the cycle along and it would take only 2 weeks. Or better yet, if your dad throws out some filter media, put some in a nylon stocking and do as before. Still, you should get a test kit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store