Plants dying painful, slow death. Makes me sad.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

skuredboi3000

AC Members
Aug 15, 2016
Hello fine Aquarium Central people,
I have a 50 gallon freshwater tank with several plants in their (I attached a few pictures, so I hope those are visible). The tank is maybe a little over a year old, but I have never had any success with my plants growing. I bought a lot last year and all but the hardiest died. I have good eco-complete substrate, the pH is usually a little high because I do water changes with tap water but I lower it to keep it around 7.4. I use Prime water conditioner to get rid of any chlorine from the tap. My ammonia levels are zero, along with the nitrites being zero as well, and the nitrates are around 4 ppm. I tried adding a CO2 booster because I thought maybe my plants were out of oxygen, but no help. I had a light specifically for planted aquariums. There's a bit of a snail problem, but I recently bought three assassin snails and they seem to be going at it. Those plus a zebra nerite snail are the only aquatic animals I have in their, so there can't be a problem due to overfeeding fish because there aren't any in there. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, but its been months of slow death after the initial onslaught of the first wave of plants. I'm begging you intellectuals to help me. My plants don't look terrible in the pictures, but they have been flirting with death for months, and I don't like them flirting.

View attachment DSC_0066.JPG

View attachment DSC_0072.JPG

View attachment DSC_0065.JPG

View attachment DSC_0074.JPG

View attachment DSC_0075.JPG

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I don't think they look too bad, looks more like an issue with algae than a plan problem

I don't think using the flash is helping the pictures, you may do better with a tripod (Or setting the camera down on a pile of something) and turning off the flash.

A little information on the tank would be helpful, especially lighting, and what you do for any sort of fertilization (in the water column or root tabs) and a list of the plants would help, as would a specific picture of any problems to better show what it is.

Reactions: Rbishop

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Sorry, but I cannot see the pictures.
But yes, what size tank? What kind of light? Wattage?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store