Plants for an African Tank ph 8.2

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

atlbb77

AC Members
Jan 9, 2003
Atlanta
Visit site
What type of plants can I put in my African tank that won't die due to the ph level being so high? I have talked with a couple of local stores and am being told that I can't, the plants are too brittle and will fall appart.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I would try something like anubias, and african ferns. they tend to be hardier plants. You'll want to acclimate them slowly to the higher pH--I would say over a couple weeks, instead of days or hours.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Start them in neutral water, and each day add 1 cup of higher pH water, until the water is at the same pH as your tank. I guess I think both are nice. African ferns are a darker green, with frilly fern shaped leaves. They grow faster than the anubias in my tank, but that might be different in other tanks. Anubias tend to have a brighter green color, and will bloom.

jafo

AC Members
Oct 6, 2002
Johnson City, TN
fishgeeks.com
I've got Anubias, Java Fern, Java Moss, and a few green and red Crypt Wendtiis is my Tang tanks (ph 8.4). The Crypts completely melted away but I left the roots alone and they came back. All of the plants had been in very soft water with pH ranging from 6.1-6.9.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store