plants that won't be consumed by mbuna???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jameshilljr

Kanien'k?haka-People of the Flint
Jun 8, 2008
Sanford, NC
I thought that I had the right live plants that wouldn't be eaten by my AC's(java fern/moss, anubias nana,crypts) Is there a plant that won't become a salad for them(besides plastic)? For a while I was able to keep all of the above plants(even anacharis) without any loss, but almost simultaneous to my socolofi's,red zebra,and labs spawning-the plants started to dwindle away.
Is there any hope?? I know most AC's live in a rocky environment with little plant life, but a little color in the environment goes a long way...

DeputyChiefJR

Glub! Glub!
Jan 18, 2006
Central Ct
I have floating watersprite

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Are you sure its not that the plants aren't receiving enough light and nutrients is why there dwindling or are they shredding the plants to pieces..

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
i think its the windlov variety of java fern that is supposed to be able to withstand most cichlids bcuz they dont like the taste of it or something like that. also bcuz its java fern it diesnt require much lighting or CO2.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
My Anubias and Java ferns didn't make it with my mbunas. They broke every new leaf that was trying to grow up.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I'm trying Vallisneria in my Mbuna tank. Recommended in all the books I've read.
Vals are natural growing plants in some parts of Lake Malawi; but in a tank, they have a 50% chance to survive with the mbunas in a relatively small closed environment. Anyways, I wish you good luck with them, Kop! :)

Istanbul_Kop

AC Members
Aug 28, 2008
Liverpool, UK.
Vals are natural growing plants in some parts of Lake Malawi; but in a tank, they have a 50% chance to survive with the mbunas in a relatively small closed environment. Anyways, I wish you good luck with them, Kop! :)
Thanks efors, the great thing about Vallisneria though is that it is DIRT cheap.

So if it fails, then I will cry a little....but not too much.:thm:

Then I might try some of the other fine suggestions in this thread!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store