Platy lost fins/tail. Compatibility check.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OnezaHounds

AC Members
Apr 18, 2020
South wales
Hey.

With my tank I started with a male and 2 female Platies and a zebra loach.
Three weeks later, introduced a second zebra loach, 4 barbs and a sucker which I can't remember the specific name of now. I'll try and get a decent photo of him and the barbs to upload, but the barbs are a brownish yellow, with a red line down each side with black dots either end of that line. Clear fins with black markings.

We noticed one of my female platies looking a bit sickly, so put into a seperate tank after watching the barbs and other female platy nipping at her. She's lost almost all of her tail and has very thin side fins now. Struggling to move and stay upright. She's been in her seperate tank for 24hrs now. Managing to eat but seems very unwell. Considering if its best to leave her recover if possible, get some medication for her, or call it a day for her and euthanize.

Interestingly, activity had decreased quite a lot in the tank, but since removing the sick/injured platy, the community has come back to life again, but my platies seem to be bullying eachother (not like their mating behaviour a few weeks ago!)

My loaches and sucker keep themselves to themselves, the barbs swim around eachother and they chase everything else off during feeding. In fact, now the platies will wait for the barbs to finish eating their share before going in themselves and the loaches and sucker will wait for everyone to finish before getting the bits off the bottom/ornaments that the barbs and platies missed.

Maidenhead aquatics have guided me through the entire process and suggested which fish to keep together. I was advised they would all be fine in a community and advised on the amount given my 80ltr tank.

My seperate tank that my platy is currently in is only 9ltr.

OnezaHounds

AC Members
Apr 18, 2020
South wales
Yeah I'm stunned by the barbs! They've come up beautiful colours, very pretty.

These are the 3 platys. I'll have to get a new pic of the unwell one. I don't have a photo of the loaches and sucker so I'm just trying to get a still from a video to upload. The blue is male I presume as he's the smallest. IMG_20200418_151406.jpg

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Platies look good, that gravel is huge, that ain't going to work well. Is that a real shell on the left?

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
The shell will alter water chemistry, that's not recommended for these fish. For loaches you need fine gravel 2-3mm, that is easier to clean as well. Sand is asking for problems, that's not going to be low maintenance unless you keep it to like a 5mm layer.
The "sucker" is a panda garra. The loach some kind of botia, yoyo, histrionica or something, I can't tell it is completely washed out.
The problem is they are very social fish that need to be kept in groups. Didn't that shop tell you ?
Both will not rip the fins off a platy though.

Reactions: OnezaHounds

OnezaHounds

AC Members
Apr 18, 2020
South wales
The shell will alter water chemistry, that's not recommended for these fish. For loaches you need fine gravel 2-3mm, that is easier to clean as well. Sand is asking for problems, that's not going to be low maintenance unless you keep it to like a 5mm layer.
The "sucker" is a panda garra. The loach some kind of botia, yoyo, histrionica or something, I can't tell it is completely washed out.
The problem is they are very social fish that need to be kept in groups. Didn't that shop tell you ?
Both will not rip the fins off a platy though.
I'm pretty sure the loaches are Botia Rostrata. I have 2 as there was 1 available when I went the first time and 1 available again when I went back, but because I've started having trouble I haven't wanted to add anything else in until I've got everything sorted. But like I said, they all seem a heck of a lot happier since removing that one unwell platy!
And it seems to be the platys that pick on eachother more than any of the other fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store