Please help I don't know what is wrong with my angelfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Angelfish Fanatic

Registered Member
Dec 31, 2017
He has a weird red thing on his feeler type fin and I really don't know what it is. I checked all my reference material and it was never even mentioned!? If you know anything please help...
---
TMA: Sun Dec 31 2017 17:48:21 GMT-0600 (CST).jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I can't really tell what is going on with your angel's fin. The "ball" before the red makes me think it was damaged, maybe bitten...but it almost looks like a red worm attached there, eek!

I'd be tempted to snip off the ball & "worm" but that seems pretty scary & maybe too drastic.

Tell us more about your tank & fish. How long have you had them? What are you water parameters? (ammonia, nitrite & nitrate). Tank size, etc, everything!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Agreed, looks like damage. I'd monitor, and if it gets worse, remove it. Use a clean, sharp pair of scissors and cut just above the damage line. It's not too scary--fins are pretty durable, and in clean water should heal promptly. You just want to remove necrotic tissue.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Thanks for agreeing, Sheila. Snipping off even fin parts can be scary & something I've only done maybe once or twice in...30 years or more...

There's no hurry to this problem, lots of time to observe & to decide what is best to do...wait!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Scary for the snipper, not so much for the fish. Fins are pretty robust--biologists will 'clip' a fin in order to mark fish in the wild with a hole punch. It's done when a wild population is manually spawned to raise the eggs in a hatchery--this keeps them from spawning the same fish multiple times in a single season. By the next year, the marked area has healed completely.

Angelfish Fanatic

Registered Member
Dec 31, 2017
good news, it cleared up. I believe it was the koi patterned angel who bit him. I have since separated the two and all has been good.

Angelfish Fanatic

Registered Member
Dec 31, 2017
Btw nitrate and nitrite are perfect, as is ammonia. Tank size is 29 gallons. It's just the wild type angel with a little golden angel along with two corys and a bristle nose catfish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store