Please help, in sort of a panic. marine ich or velvet?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zerosum

AC Members
Apr 24, 2006
So nearly 2 years I finally acclimiated my green spotted puffer to full marine. I picked up a Coral Beauty and a couple chromis to go in with it, along with live rock. One chromis died and looked like this when he died. He didn't have white spots before he died though. He had what looked like it could have been a damaged tail and a big white patch on his body. (this pic is blurry but you can see the damage)

I got the new fish about a week ago, didn't use a QT tank (i know,=/ ) He still eats, isn't gasping for air, isn't listless, and isn't flashing. Did one treatment of Clout then ran carbon and did water change. That was when I thought it was ich, now I think it could be velvet so I started with anti parasite general cure (all i had on me that claims to treat velvet) White spots started about 4 days ago, this is an hour after first general cure treatment. Really appreciate any input.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Little confused, is the angel the fish that you are now concerned about? Can't really see any spots. If you don't have a QT to out the angel in you're pretty much left with keeping water quality up as best you can, feeding the tank about as much as the angel will eat (garlic/vitamin soaked foods) and keeping your hands out of the tank as much as possible to reduce stress.

What size tank are these fish in?

zerosum

AC Members
Apr 24, 2006
Really? You can't see the white spots? No offense but I don't see what tank size has to do with anything, every time I read one of these threads when someone has nothing to contribute they ask tank size.

It's 35gal....fluval 4 plus filter, hiding places galore, 20lbs live rock, a few handfuls of red kelp for cover also. Been feeding frozen foods and dry foods(frozen bloodworms/brine shrimp and new life spectrum pellets/spirulina. SG 1.022, ammonia 0, ph 8.1, temp 80F. It's a parasite introduced from my LFS, I just need help identifying it. Thanks

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
I don't have experience with marine tanks, but a lot of experience with ich, and it definitely looks like ich to me! No idea how to treat marine tanks for it, but that's why google is awesome :) sorry I couldn't be more help

zerosum

AC Members
Apr 24, 2006
I don't have experience with marine tanks, but a lot of experience with ich, and it definitely looks like ich to me! No idea how to treat marine tanks for it, but that's why google is awesome :) sorry I couldn't be more help
That was my first thought as well but after reading horror stories about marine velvet I started to go into sort of a panic and am desperate for other opinions, as I'm sure most can understand. Yea I spent hours on google lol, much better to hear from someone first hand with experience though. If it is ich I should be covered, velvet on the other hand scares me. Thanks for your input.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Really? You can't see the white spots? No offense but I don't see what tank size has to do with anything, every time I read one of these threads when someone has nothing to contribute they ask tank size.
I couldn't see the spots because your glass has some coraline on it and I couldn't tell the difference. My apologies for asking but the chromis clearly looks to have a been ripped up by something and having a damsel and a newly introduced dwarf angel spells a fight to me especially if they were in a 10 gallon (you know you've seen those all over youtube) there is a good chance the angel killed chromis. I was just trying to figure out the damage to the chromis.

You definitely have Marine Ich which is not all that uncommon on CB angels.

zerosum

AC Members
Apr 24, 2006
Thanks again everyone. Sorry I didn't mean to offend greech, I just see that question way too often. 2006 join date should exempt me from questions like that IMO. And as for youtube I agree, most of those videos are sickening, I often leave horrible comments lol.
The angel hasn't gone after the remaining chromis once, the one that died was like it when I brought him home, at the time it seemed like an injury to me, but I guess it wasn't. The fish are still alive, treating for ich. If my puffer dies I might cry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store