Please help me identify these plants and give advice.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

entropy

AC Members
Feb 12, 2010
Hi Everyone,
Newbie here. Can someone help me identify some plants I got from lfs today. They were floating in the tanks. The owner gave me these for free. He did not know what they are. I am guessing one is java moss, although some clumps seem a little darker, I suspect this is due to algae. Can anyone confirm what these are and why some clumps appear darker?
Clump #1 - Lighter in color
IMG_0461.JPG
Clump #2 - Darker in color
IMG_0462.JPG
Clump #2 - Different angle
IMG_0463.JPG

The second batch is some type of hairy grass which appears to have some small little roots.
Grassy Clump
IMG_0456.JPG
Grassy Clump separated
IMG_0452.JPG

They were mixed together so I had to pick out some of the fine grass like plant out of what appears to be a moss. I don't think these two would look good together but they were free. Any help or opinions would be appreciated. I was planning on getting a few Java plants and starting a moss tank with Neon Tetras or Cardinal Tetras. Thanks in advance.

IMG_0452.JPG IMG_0456.JPG IMG_0461.JPG IMG_0462.JPG IMG_0463.JPG

entropy

AC Members
Feb 12, 2010
Thank you for your replies. I think it is hair grass too. It feels just like hair! I researched it and it appears to be an over grown clump. I attempted to separate it and align the roots, then planted a little bunch in the gravel. What a pain that was! I left the rest free floating and plan to continue bunching it later. I hope it does not spread erratically throughout the tank by free floating. I have some left over plant pots from previous plants. If I wanted to use a pot, does anyone have any suggestions on what media to use? I guess I could use gravel but I figured it would not hold well and this is a new tank with not fish yet, so little nutrients. Actually, I take that back, there was a little fry of some sort hiding in the grass. So that was an added surprise. I am curious to see what it grows into if it survives; I don't think I am fully cycled yet.

schaadrak

Lo-Tech Advocate
Sep 3, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
I think the last one is guppy grass or Naja grass. It's mostly used as a floating plant but you can plant it, too. I would use sand, but I'm not sure if they need rooot tabs if they're planted in the substrate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store