Please Help Me Introduce My Daughter to Fishing...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
also be prepared to make a shore picnic out of it too.. snacks and drinks. take the opportunity to teach her about the ecosystem too.. she may find the bugs in the water interesting ..teach her what the fish eat..look for caddis fly larvae, scud etc
my grand daughters love to go fishing with me..when fishing gets slow we poke around the shore looking for fish food.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
also be prepared to make a shore picnic out of it too.. snacks and drinks. take the opportunity to teach her about the ecosystem too.. she may find the bugs in the water interesting ..teach her what the fish eat..look for caddis fly larvae, scud etc
my grand daughters love to go fishing with me..when fishing gets slow we poke around the shore looking for fish food.
Excellent point, Ed.

Mark

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
My 9 year old and 4 year old daughters LOVE to practice cast in the yard. Be prepared to untangle fishing line and get the plug back out of the trees. :) The 9 year old has only actually fished a couple times. I agree with bringing snacks/a picnic and pointing out ALL the wild life, bugs, snails, whatever. Also putting her in charge of finding some bait is a good idea. Let her think up some bait ideas too. LOL!

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Well, the first part of this was a success... Friday was my daughter's birthday, and we decided to go ahead and buy her a kid's fishing combo. It was kind of against my better judgement, as I know how inexpensively they are made, but I guess if she ends up losing interest we won't lose more than $12.99. We gave it to her yesterday, since this weekend is also my birthday and we had get togethers scheduled for both of our birthdays, and she absolutely loves it. It came with a casting plug shaped like a fish, so I tied it on for her and showed her how to release the line and then wind it back in. She was doing it non-stop for what seemed like 45 min, and only stopped because it was time to take a bath. I'll get her out in the yard soon and see what I can do to teach her about casting next.

And, of course, because she's a girl and all, I did cave and bought her some pink Thill floats. I sure hope my fishing buddies don't see them in my tackle box. LOL

Bassasin

AC Members
Jul 8, 2011
My 4 year old daughter comes with me all the time! (she also asked me) It is tough to get any serious fishin time in, but she loves it. I got her a pink kids spincaster. We also have a picnic style lunch. bluegill and sunfish keep it interesting for a while too. Good luck!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Be sure to carry a wet wash rag and an extra change of clothes for her. When fishing slows down, let her "explore" close to you and find "bugs" and such. I took my kids when they showed interest and often let them explore when fishing was slow. Two of my kids have a great love for it now and they too practice catch-and-release. Couldn't ask for more!

Make the fishing about quality time first and fish second. It really helps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store