Please help sex my Yellow Lab :)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bettaman

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
NY
Visit site
Tank is a twenty gallon long. For a while she was the sole cichlid in the tank and I guess she claimed it. Within hours of me adding the new fish she tore the little guy up badly, he almost looked white.

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
I'd be suprised if it was changing color due to the food... it isn't impossible, but food usually won't make that big of a difference. I'd almost wonder if it was a yellow lab crossed with something like a Ps. (or Maylandia) estherae, the so-called red zebra.

I've never seen a yellow zebra anywhere near that red...

Jim

bettaman

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
NY
Visit site
Hmmm, I don't know if it was crossed. Could that happen by accident and then my local LFS gets a hold of it? When I first brought the fish she looked like every other juvenile yellow lab in the tank that day and that I've seen thus far.

The lighting and camera enhances the color somewhat but she is definitely more orange than your average yellow lab.

If it's not the diet I wonder what could have caused the color shift.......

This is interesting though. I'd be interested to see what others think.

Last edited:

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
It would not be hard for a mixed-breed fish to get into your LFS, especially if it wasn't showing colors as a juvie. I don't know what fish could interbreed with a yellow lab, but it is easily within the realm of possibility. Cross-bred fish at the LFS are probably more of a reality than most of us realize...

Jim

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store