Please help! Sick betta in need!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
If she's eating then give her medicated food. I have a feeling it's camellanus worms, myself. Fendbendazole is very effective against it if you can get the fish to eat.

vallen25

AC Members
Jun 22, 2012
Would the Maracyn help with that? The closest Petco/Pet Smart is 30 minutes away and I have to work tomorrow. Plus, I have $50 bucks to my name last and I'm trying to use it to save my fish. I can either by the Maracyn off Amazon or the food, but not both.

vallen25

AC Members
Jun 22, 2012
Btw, within the past 48 hours, Lily's not only gotten big, but she seems to now have trouble keeping herself from floating upward when she's sitting still. Is it a Swim Bladder illness?

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
What I'd do then, is use a product that treats for both parasites and bacterial infections. A two in one product. I would try to find a local fish store, like one of those that specializes in mostly just aquarium fish and supplies. If you can't find a local one, then I'd see what Petco or Petsmart has. Unless you can find it on Amazon. If you have a Prime account, some things ship in just two days, if you think she'll last that long. Make sure what you buy treats INTERNAL infections. Double check the active ingredients for use here: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?135493-List-of-Treatments-and-Contraindications

Last edited:

vallen25

AC Members
Jun 22, 2012
Will her belly pop if I fed her? It's very swollen from the pea I gave her a few days ago...which I never saw her pass...

vallen25

AC Members
Jun 22, 2012
Okay, for some reason, it was mentioned that the medicine could be given to her like food. I was very confused. I'm going to order what you suggested Micha, and hopefully it'll make it to me in time. Honestly, since her whole body has started swelling, do you think she'll last a few more days? She's the first betta I've had as an adult, and I really don't want to lose her.

vallen25

AC Members
Jun 22, 2012
She's sitting at the bottom of her tank, not moving. She's not even using her gills. All I see out of her is releasing bubbles.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I'm sorry to say that she likely is too far gone at this point. I don't blame you if you want to try to save her (I've done the same)... but IME, once fish have reached this stage of the game, it's too late and it's best to go ahead and euththanize. If the fish's kidneys are damaged, it will not survive. I prolonged a fish's life for almost a month that was in the same condition as yours, but worse. It refused to eat and that is the most effective way to get the medicine inside the fish where the problem lies.

vallen25

AC Members
Jun 22, 2012
I lied. She's still popping up for air. Does that matter or is my poor Lily still a goner?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store