PLEASE HELP!!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Slvikan

AC Members
Mar 22, 2020
That looks good for transport ;)
You won't need to bring too much water with them, it just helps for similar water parameters and acclimation. But BB is mostly in the filter and it will multiply to the other surfaces in the tank within a couple days. BB will be in the carbon too, but if it is 'old' it sometimes does the opposite desired effect by leaking the stuff back into the system. You can swish the other filter media in old tank water to get the clog and debris wiped away, but keep everything else. Tbh though I don't use carbon, so I don't know very much about it. Maybe it would be better to wait a week to change new....

It's a big job to move fish, that's when the small things get overlooked. At least it works that way for me haha!
You’re AWESOME!!!!! And I cannot believe that the old filter materials work so well. Tested water and it’s showing as cycled. Clearly I’ll test everyday but there are nitrates. So cool. I need a new filter tho bc I got six head and tail or whatever tetras. I kkow. I was scared to tell. But the kribs wouldnt show their faces. I would have to turn off the tank lights turn on the room lights and hide under the table to see their shadows lol. I had to empty the entire thing out to count them! And I can’t believe it but it worked. The dithers worked and all are out together! Now I probably should have used two heaters bc I don’t have a lid right now. So the water is warm bc of the high watt heater maybe? I need to take some pics stat! How are you?!! Thank you so so so so muvhN

Reactions: angelcraze

Slvikan

AC Members
Mar 22, 2020
Okay angelcraze angelcraze I got a $25 amazon gift card and splurged on a....AQUACLEAR 70!
It came today. How do I go about making sure the tank doesn’t lose its BB. Should I:A.) run the 70 alongside the 30 for a while? Or B.) just transfer the sponge and carbon and rings into the 70 along with the new 70’s sponge carbon and rings?
Thank you so much

angelcraze

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
Okay angelcraze angelcraze I got a $25 amazon gift card and splurged on a....AQUACLEAR 70!
It came today. How do I go about making sure the tank doesn’t lose its BB. Should I:A.) run the 70 alongside the 30 for a while? Or B.) just transfer the sponge and carbon and rings into the 70 along with the new 70’s sponge carbon and rings?
Thank you so much
Sorry if this is a late reply! I didn't see your last reply until now. I would put all the media in the AC70 along with the new media. You could keep the 20g going with the original HOB, there will be BB on the walls ect. Just some info bc I noticed it doesn't take long for BB to reestablish and/or revive. Just thinking if it's gonna be QT. Alternatively it doesn't take much to start up a QT, so you could leave it or drain it.

angelcraze

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
You’re AWESOME!!!!! And I cannot believe that the old filter materials work so well. Tested water and it’s showing as cycled. Clearly I’ll test everyday but there are nitrates. So cool. I need a new filter tho bc I got six head and tail or whatever tetras. I kkow. I was scared to tell. But the kribs wouldnt show their faces. I would have to turn off the tank lights turn on the room lights and hide under the table to see their shadows lol. I had to empty the entire thing out to count them! And I can’t believe it but it worked. The dithers worked and all are out together! Now I probably should have used two heaters bc I don’t have a lid right now. So the water is warm bc of the high watt heater maybe? I need to take some pics stat! How are you?!! Thank you so so so so muvhN
Oh i'm so happy the media is working :) I know you will keep testing.

Head and tail light tetras won't be a ton of bioload. I had some too at one time! But I was a newbie and did some stuff that didn't go so well with them, so I didn't end up getting much experience with them. But they are tiny for bioload. Still important to keep testing ;) I'm so happy the dithers are helping. Very interesting! I was thinking they might help, but wasn't sure so i'm glad you updated that. Good idea!

Slvikan

AC Members
Mar 22, 2020
Oh i'm so happy the media is working :) I know you will keep testing.

Head and tail light tetras won't be a ton of bioload. I had some too at one time! But I was a newbie and did some stuff that didn't go so well with them, so I didn't end up getting much experience with them. But they are tiny for bioload. Still important to keep testing ;) I'm so happy the dithers are helping. Very interesting!
I was thinking they might help, but wasn't sure so i'm glad you updated that. Good idea!
thank you so much! Haven’t opened up the 70 yet waiting for you! So just keep running the 30 with nothing in it? I will of course I just want to make sure I do it right! So here’s what’s in it now—an old sponge, TWO carbon (bc I put two in a while ago bc of tannins and just switched out one for a new one and didn’t want to lose bb from old carbon so kept both in), and the bio rings. Should I put both 30 AC carbons in the 70 or the old bb covered carbon in with the new 70 Carbon? Does carbon carry bB? I would only keep 2 carbons in the filter if having the old one helps with bb. Maybe two isn’t bad tho bc the tank has no top so it might help with smell. I got more sand yesterday so I emptied and refilled tank and prior to that testing was good!

also I got another thermometer for here and it reads one whole degree higher. I tested it with a home one and it’s correct I think. But it’s a pain so I might just assume the temp is in the middle. It’s not huge deal bc it’s pretty much either 78.5 or 79.5//80 but I want Lacey to be warm enough. Also I did something dumb (shocker). I got another tiny Angel. She’s so cute and she and Lacey seem to get along well! She follows Lacey everywhere! She also stared in the mirror For the first day and peckEd at it constantly it was so cute but luckily it stopped. Her fin is clamped tho still I believe.
As for Kribs:: I think this (The pic in the moss hides) truly is a mated pair. Yet I could be wrong tho. For coverage:: I have a tiny real plant to start trying live ones but to help aggression I got this huge fake plant thing (see it’s on the leFt side) to protect the log bc I thought the two would hang out there and I wanted them to have their own corner so they would stop chasing the others.The large plant would look better on the other side lol but I wanted them to be happy and nice. Turns out they want the center of the tank without coverage so I might move some ugly plastic plants over there so they aren’t as aggressive. I could be wrong about mated of course tho. Also pls don’t Mind my hair on the hide in the one pic. I worked on the tank more than I ever have yesterday with new sand etc etc so I must have shed a little and will remove the hair now. How are you? How’s the perky Angel with the larger hole and how’s the not perky? We can pm too we are only ones on hereLol.4F8997D5-60FC-44AE-9B7A-58114248CE96.jpeg79C36903-1E55-4EB1-9E65-E3E605CC7CD5.jpeg4BF02425-935F-46CC-B259-E98FD3DAD020.jpeg0D1DC6C9-83BB-4F63-85C9-307679E15055.jpegDE601A44-0476-4ED8-A842-CF2C2848F342.jpeg066EA563-D5AE-4233-B1C2-E33F5A4B280D.jpega77308F43-868B-444B-A7AB-1DFA8379BAE9.jpeg

Last edited:

angelcraze

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
Omg you got another angel lol! That's ok, you will just have to watch as they mature. It's a good thing Lacey is ok with the newbie so far though! The newbie is cute! I don't see any tail clamping in the pics except for the last one.

I like the big fake plant. It will provide a lot of territory division and hide for the fish. Looks like you got some java fern. Nice pick! And you placed it perfectly on the driftwood. Live plants are awesome, you will love them.

As for the carbon, I use ceramic media for my BB. Carbon will have some BB too, but it also exhausts and will seep the bad stuff back into the tank eventually (I think). So I would replace the old carbon with ceramic media. I use Eheim media but any ceramic media will hold the most BB because it is specifically designed to do so.

So you will have both HOBs on the 40g? Then it doesn't matter where the media is, just add more ceramic to the AC70.

I'm glad things are working out :)

Btw, I love the algae? on your caves. How did you get it to grow there?

Slvikan

AC Members
Mar 22, 2020
Omg you got another angel lol! That's ok, you will just have to watch as they mature. It's a good thing Lacey is ok with the newbie so far though! The newbie is cute! I don't see any tail clamping in the pics except for the last one.

I like the big fake plant. It will provide a lot of territory division and hide for the fish. Looks like you got some java fern. Nice pick! And you placed it perfectly on the driftwood. Live plants are awesome, you will love them.

As for the carbon, I use ceramic media for my BB. Carbon will have some BB too, but it also exhausts and will seep the bad stuff back into the tank eventually (I think). So I would replace the old carbon with ceramic media. I use Eheim media but any ceramic media will hold the most BB because it is specifically designed to do so.

So you will have both HOBs on the 40g? Then it doesn't matter where the media is, just add more ceramic to the AC70.

I'm glad things are working out :)

Btw, I love the algae? on your caves. How did you get it to grow there?
Ew lol! To algae. So my new sand is Fluorite black sand. I think I ordered it before you told me another good one. I don’t like it but I didn’t have enough so I got more. Maybe I’ll like it more once plants grow but I don’t love the color or clay like consistency. But when I put more in yesterday it got all over my new white decor and I had to take it out and scrub it with soap and then soak it. So point being some of the ornaments probably look dusty or white like the fake log but the algae is ew just algae. It comes fast on the stuff I swear I have some on the new white thing already. Is that bad?! Eek!

so I set the 70 up and it took HOURS. For some reason it wouldn’t prime all the way so I was banging it in forever. So two issues. One is that it’s huge and so strong. I had to put hideous stuff in place to slow it. I was going to order a soap dish to do it but I don’t want that in my acrylic next tank even if it has a black back. Bc it sticks up so high and shows the sponges. Also look at all the brown crud. That’s all from messing with filters. How bad is this? Are they in danger until tomorrow am when I can change water? Is it safe? Sorey. Also is there any other brand I can get bc I do not like this look and I looked it up and a 30 and a 50 won’t fit into the acrylic if I want a stronger filter in future. I’m so sorry!!2C02486C-BB70-41A3-BE65-BD1A13DBE49E.jpeg05B90065-997B-484C-B4D0-E1B26DF62D4A.jpeg4868DB27-368F-4244-908D-8CA52E2B4105.jpeg4194BBC8-F9A6-456A-A715-1352491A2F7D.jpegC976DD4E-8146-4E02-A0A0-DE4137EDAF5E.jpegF93E371F-7AB0-4DC5-98B7-855C3255B7EA.jpeg1EDE5D15-4ACF-4C5B-AA1F-78DF37ADFD84.jpeg76C8E017-1E6C-43BD-9EBE-A0AD50DDC0CC.jpeg9DFE86DE-0DF1-4BC5-BC8E-95223F02BD55.jpeg503485D6-8DE6-449D-9C4F-B21D6D40FC8E.jpegBC8E8E98-6DE6-44AB-8AF7-EA950C3D8BF1.jpeg04FB2922-DA9E-4D40-B03C-C70777DC243D.jpegTY

angelcraze

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
Well the sand looks nice......
Sorry it's a pain :( I think the filters are fine. But do you have the flow lever all the way to the low setting? I have AC70s on all my 33gs. I put them on the ends of the tank lengthwise. I do use the soap dishes to baffle the flow (if that's what you meant). But my angels are fine even without the baffle. I don't have any ideas that don't involve a baffle of some sort. But try the low flow setting first. The AC50 is much smaller for media but less strong because the impeller only has three blades like the AC20. I still think the AC70 is ok for the 40g though....
No you can't use the AC20 impeller in the AC70 filter (already tried it). It's not strong enough to move the water through the larger tubes and filter.
And it does take a while to prime in the low flow setting, like 30 seconds to a minute maybe?

And I like the algae! I didn't mean it as an insult. I like my algae too, makes the tank look more natural. Once you get live plants growing, they will out complete the algae. For now, the algae is actually good! It uses up the nitrates like plants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store