Please tell me this is not ick.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Chase Glover

AC Members
Feb 2, 2017
IMG_1398.JPG IMG_1399.JPG IMG_1400.JPG This is my female juvenile JD. Is this ick she has. She is very active and still has an appetite. I have API ick cure and the tankmates are a male firemouth and 3 pictus cats. Tank is 60-65 gallons. Thanks!!!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Hard to tell from the pictures. Does it look like salt, or white lumps? Is this a new fish? Has something recently been added to the tank? Ich in another tank with shared equipment? Ich is not in all tanks, it must be introduced...so if there's not been anything added in the last 6 weeks, it's highly unlikely to be ich.

Chase Glover

AC Members
Feb 2, 2017
Hard to tell from the pictures. Does it look like salt, or white lumps? Is this a new fish? Has something recently been added to the tank? Ich in another tank with shared equipment? Ich is not in all tanks, it must be introduced...so if there's not been anything added in the last 6 weeks, it's highly unlikely to be ich.
Salt and giant danios have been added. I am getting some non iodized kosher salt today to treat. 2 of my pictus cats look to have it. The dots appear to be going away on the Dempsey. What should I do?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Salt and heat are the best treatments I've ever found. Add surface agitation to help keep O2 levels high, temps as high as the fish will take it.

And any kind of salt is fine. No need to get non-iodized--really, table salt is just as effective and will not harm your animals.

Chase Glover

AC Members
Feb 2, 2017
Salt and heat are the best treatments I've ever found. Add surface agitation to help keep O2 levels high, temps as high as the fish will take it.

And any kind of salt is fine. No need to get non-iodized--really, table salt is just as effective and will not harm your animals.
Ok. Thanks!

Chase Glover

AC Members
Feb 2, 2017

I honestly think I'd be more comfortable using kosher salt. Do you have reccoemded amount to put in if the tank is 60 gallons?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
1-2 tsp per gallon, or about 1 1/4 - 2 1/2 cups. If you can bump the temp up to 86F, the lower dose will be suitable. But honestly, there's not reason to use kosher salt. You can do what you want but understand that there is nothing harmful in table salt used correctly and for the time period in question.

Reactions: Chase Glover

Chase Glover

AC Members
Feb 2, 2017
1-2 tsp per gallon, or about 1 1/4 - 2 1/2 cups. If you can bump the temp up to 86F, the lower dose will be suitable. But honestly, there's not reason to use kosher salt. You can do what you want but understand that there is nothing harmful in table salt used correctly and for the time period in question.
Should I take a few months old carbon out?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store