Pleco Dilemma

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lord of Jank

AC Members
Jul 20, 2008
Chicagoland
I have a 75g tank that we have had setup for about 6 years and prior to that we had a 25g tall Eclipse tank for about a year. We bought the pleco with the original 25g. He/she has grown to be over 12 inches and is a beast in the tank. I feel like we are not being fair to the guy when I watch him attempt to move around the tank. I want to upgrade to a larger tank to give him room but we are also planning on moving in the next year and I really don't want to deal with moving a bigger tank at that time.

So.. Should I take him to the LFS and hope someone adopts him or maybe I am being a little over concerned and he is actually doing ok and we can wait out the year?

Love to get some thoughts from the community here.

Bllib

AC Members
Aug 18, 2008
Try and sell it here or take it for a trade in a your LFS. 12 inches is a bit big for a 20. To bad you are not closer I could use a pleco that size.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, a pleco that size should be in something closer to a 125+ gal tank IMO, I'm surprised its not making a huge mess in the 75. If it was a month or two I would say it could wait but if its going to be closer to a year I'd say find it a new home - its certainly not going to get any smaller.

Gulp

Nom, nom, nom.
Dec 16, 2003
Stockbridge, Georgia
Visit site
Yeah, a pleco that size should be in something closer to a 125+ gal tank IMO, I'm surprised its not making a huge mess in the 75. If it was a month or two I would say it could wait but if its going to be closer to a year I'd say find it a new home - its certainly not going to get any smaller.

My neighbors have a 12"+ pleco in their 30 gallon tank... Poor thing just lays on the bottom and barely moves. Doesn't make much of a mess at all....he doesn't do anything. They've had him for over 6 years now. I've offered to move him in to my 100 gallon tank a few times...but they want to keep him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store