Pleco growth rate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vfrex

AC Members
Feb 26, 2002
New Jersey
Haven't done nitrate in a while. No real point in doing nitrite, the tank is cycled. The cichlids in the tank have had an awesome growth rate...inch a month.

my brother is home from college now. He claims that the pleco has doubled in size since we got 'em. I'm gonna go by his word and say it grew. But I'd still like some input as to feeding practices.

yannfulliquet

Hypancistrus Lover
Aug 23, 2002
Hi!
One thing to remember is that Loricariidae have "armor plates" and that is probably hard enough for them to grow fast with such things. Unlike cichlids or other scales fish that can achieve adult growth in a year and so it usually take a longer time for Loricariidae, adulthood is never reach in that span of time but does take longer. Being scaleless fish ( yes they are "armor plate is not a scale in a scientific way) make them more intolerant to water pollutionof any sort and even a small amount would not harm cichlids for exemple, it can have an influence on Loricariidae and co...
Still if you have him since May and it has already double in size, I think it is a pretty good grow rate...
Cheers
Yann

johnw

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
central Mo.
Visit site
I feed mine algae chips because there's hardly any in the tank. it seems that the more room they have,the healthier they are. Now for a question: does yours wink? I'm not kiddin, I think he's winking at me. I usually have mine for a year or 2 and then take them back to the pet store and trade them in.

vfrex

AC Members
Feb 26, 2002
New Jersey
I have never seen mine do that. Although i've heard of it happening.

I have seen mine rush up to the top of the water and rush back down. Wierd stuff.

FishNinjaX

Registered Member
Jul 14, 2010
:nilly::help2: :help1: i Just Bought 2 Plecos Their like 2-3 inches right now, but b4 i put them into the tank i cleaned it but left a little algae just in case i forget to feed, The Plecos mates are TigerBarbs, Dainos, and Someother fishes. Any Tips, i Dont know how to make them grow, There is Enough Dark Places in the tank but no Driftwood

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store