Polarized glasses...do they work?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I have been using them for years. I use the kind that will fit over regular prescription glasses and actually got the VA to make me a pair as well.

The clarity when fishing is awesome! You can actually see the fish in the water! They reduce a significant amount of eye-strain from the light and as mentioned before, you need to block the light that comes in from the sides to be most effective.

Clip-ons (clips to regular glasses) do work, but not as well as a full glass lens. Cost doesn't always equate to a better sunglass. I try out the ones offered in sporting good stores and then see if I can find the same brand in a discount store for less.

My prescription lenses are over $500 so it's not like I can afford to replace them each season!

saganco

RIP my precious kitty baby
Oct 29, 2006
Colorado
Woo Hoo! I got my RX polarized glasses! Now to get the darn boat for some winter trolling out on Pueblo reservoir... My eye doc said that the best one for eye protection coupled with water visability are the dark brown lenses. I love them and can't wait to see how wonderful they are on the water now...

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
just thought I'd update this question

I bought a couple pairs from BPS last fall...cheap $20 pair

The ones I got were so-so I'll say...I got another pair a week later made by Rapala for 19.99 and WOW what a difference in quality

Needless to say I will never fish a single day without polarized glasses

they work so well it actually hurts your eyes to take them off after you've been fishing for a few hours...and the visibility in the water is astounding!

All those times you've tossed a lure close to a downed tree thinking you can outmanuever the tree and end up getting snagged...pull your boat in and scare off all the fish

NEVER AGAIN!

Some places I can see a good 15-20 feet straight down into the water...it's unreal

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I realize this is an older thread but wanted to say I opt for the glass lenses over plastic due to being much more scratch resistant, especially when fishing around overgrown banks.

Yes, polarized lenses are all they are touted to be.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
+1

my fav pair are prescription
polarized photo grey

deeleywoman

All men are equal before fish.
Mar 9, 2009
Newport News, VA
www.etsy.com
i actually talked my husband into letting me get a pair of prescription sunglasses for the sole reason that i wanted to have them for fishing... my eye doc's glasses shop polarizes all their prescription shades automatically, so i didn't even have to pay extra for it. and they're designer, too, so i look hawt while i'm pretending to be an awesome fisherwoman. my doc also sells prescription/polarized shades designed for sporting activites, with stretchy nylon bands to hold them on. so i'm betting most people should be able to find them with a phone call or two.

i friggin' love my shades; i don't go outside without them on, and the only time i don't see perfectly well with them is when i'm driving through the tunnel- i've gotten very adept at switching from shades to normal glasses as i enter the tunnel, and back to shades as i come out lol... on the water, there's just nothing like them. i can see under the water's surface even if i'm just driving past a lake or river. worth every friggin' penny.

saganco

Oct 29, 2006
Colorado
Hi - I'm the OP on this thread, and I LOVE my new rx glass photo browns (the eye doc said that they protect my eyes better than the grays, and look almost as good as the grays). Nothing beats it - in fact hubby couldn't wait to go the eye doc and get rx glasses like I did, so he got a pair of fit overs today and he's so excited about our next fishing excursion to the lake!

This thread can of course continue with the praises of the polarized glasses, but if others are posting to help answer my original question, it's well past being answered - I'm SOLD! Thank you all!!

deeleywoman

Mar 9, 2009
Newport News, VA
www.etsy.com
oh, i know who you are, and i know you got your answer.... i actually read the whole thread, cuz i have no life >.> i was just chipping in my two coppers. :D mine are dark brown, too, btw...

also, hi! haven't seen ya in awhile ^_^ (well, mostly cuz i ain't been around in awhile...)

saganco

Oct 29, 2006
Colorado
Well, I wasn't trying to hush anyone up! I was just stating that I'm happy, my question has been answered perfectly, and that I will gracefully (or not so, since I'm pretty clutzy) bow out of the thread... You guys and gals enjoy your shades!!

deeleywoman

Mar 9, 2009
Newport News, VA
www.etsy.com
:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store