Poll --- Convict/Kribensis

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishNMusic

AC Members
May 10, 2003
Visit site
Ok This Is now Something like a double Poll. There is two Questions Im asking, one on Convicts the Other on Kribensis.

~~Kribensis
~ What is better For a kribensis 20 gallon Long tank
1 Gravel and sand mixture with rocks and shells
2 Gravel with rocks and shells
3 Sand with rocks and shells
4 Sand with rocks
5 Sand with shells
6 Gravel with rocks
7 Gravel with shells
8 Im wrong with all these ideas and Im correcting you

~~Convicts (All Info Wanted)
~ What is better for A convict in a 20 long
1 Gravel and sand mixture with rocks and shells
2 Gravel with rocks and shells
3 Sand with rocks and shells
4 Sand with rocks
5 Sand with shells
6 Gravel with rocks
7 Gravel with shells
8 Im wrong with all these ideas and Im correcting you

Thank you

scott

AC Members
Mar 12, 2003
Georgia
Visit site
1 for the kribs. I would use flourite by seachem and add some easy hearty plants like java or sword. Six for the con with the rocks built into a cave.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Seachem is the name of a company that sells aquarium products.

Fluorite (which is made by Seachem) is a newer substrate that is very popular in planted tanks.

scott

AC Members
Mar 12, 2003
Georgia
Visit site
Sorry. Like Childawg said it is great in planted tanks. I have a black thumb and my swords are doin great with the seachem flourish nutrient additives and the flourite substrate. The softer substrate and finer grains make it easier for the roots to grow (or so I've heard). It is kinda a mixture between sand and gravel, so to speak.

Samala

mmm RNA..
Lose the rocks. I gave my kribs rocks and the female excavated herself a lovely cave beneath a large sheet of slate. Trouble is that fish don't hold degree in Structural Engineering.. she excavated too far beneath the rock and crushed herself. Poor girl. I was heart broken.

My vote for the aquascape:
>Fine non-aragonite (non-coral) sand. I've had good luck with 2 lb. bags of sand from Home Depot called "western desert sand".. it's silica based, a decent color, and just the right size. (I won't tell you to use gravel since I hate the stuff.. sand is great.. plants root well and you just vacuum off the top to clean up detritus.)

>Lots of plants. My kribs were great with the plants.. get some easy stuff, amazon swords (Echinodorus sp.) do well under nearly all lighting conditions. Also try out some java moss (Vesicularia dubyana).. this would be a nice source of food for possible fry and is also a low light plant. You can't go wrong with a clump of Hygrophila sp. either.

>For hiding spots.. use small NON-glazed clay pots.. the sort you can get for two quarters in a garden section. Some people saw these in half.. I bury the bottom half in the sand. That way momma-Krib has to excavate a LOT of sand before she could possibly get herself into trouble. Or.. go the driftwood route (but beware the cave-in possibilities and try to brace them somehow.)

Last, water conditions.. slightly acid (6.5 to 7.0 ish) and slightly soft (gH's in the 4-8 range) have been the best conditions for me. Oh.. and if you think Pelv. pulcher (common Kribensis) is bland.. look around for sources of Pelv. subocellatus or Pelv. taeniatus. This genus is a lot of fun to play with and all of the fishes stay relatively small.

Good luck!

Last edited:

FishNMusic

AC Members
May 10, 2003
Visit site
To Samala

Did you have a breeding a pair of Kribs? and i will take your word for it i will Get the sand and some NON_glazed pots.

Thank you

*did you have any other fish in with your Kribs?

FishNMusic

AC Members
May 10, 2003
Visit site
Questions

What is gravel/laterite. I know its probably a mixture of gravel and What. Coconut shells do you mean Real one like you buy at the store. Nad a Dwarf sag is that a Plant.

Im a newbie at Kribs i only had them for about a week and a half.

Thank you All for helpping me

Skittyfish

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
South Central,KY
Visit site
I'm new at them too, only had them a month. I have gravel mixed with pure laterite...a clay gravel. Dwarf sag looks like grass. And the coconuts came from Wal-mart. I carefully split them open and broke off a bit on the bottom to make an entrance. I have pictures you can see them in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store